The Sewing Place

Pattern Copying

BrendaP

Re: Pattern Copying
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 13:49:09 PM »
I remember back in the vintage days of the 1960s I was a bridesmaid for my uncle and his new wife.  Aunty Peggy didn't sew but she had acquired a length of lovely dark red velvet fabric which she commissioned a local dresmaker to to turn into a long dress for me (subsequently shortened to make a nice party dress).  The dressmaker made her buy the chosen pattern and then made her accept it along with the dress.  That way there was no way that she (dressmaker) could be accused of breaching copyright for using the pattern multiple times for different clients.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lizzy777

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 23:12:58 PM »
Yeah that is correct. You can only retain copies for your personal use while you own the item.

How would anyone know if you retained copies for your own personal use after you had sold or given away the originals?
I can'[t see how that would be policed tbh? Almost impossible to do that unless you tried selling copies of the pattern or made up the pattern and sold the item online for gain?

Just my views.

Lizzy777

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 23:16:23 PM »
Talking about copying commercial patterns, now I think about it , I have never copied one. I have bought lots of patterns but never actually copied one. I just use the original tissue or paper it came on.

aprilla

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 08:47:16 AM »
I'm sorry I didn't think about copying patterns rather than cutting the size lines when I started out. I've now got cut patterns I no longer fit. Lesson learned, now I copy them  :S

It's for personal use, but I've also got the option of sharing my original, moreso than if I'd cut it. Is sharing against copyright?

Holly Berry

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 09:58:25 AM »
I'm sorry I didn't think about copying patterns rather than cutting the size lines when I started out. I've now got cut patterns I no longer fit. Lesson learned, now I copy them  :S

It's for personal use, but I've also got the option of sharing my original, moreso than if I'd cut it. Is sharing against copyright?

Yes it is, in theory.

You then get the situation where someone wants to use one of your patterns, which is no longer in print and unable to be bought, but you don’t want to get rid of it. You have to tell your friend, sorry you can’t trace it due to copyright. Does it still breech copyright to say, bring your fabric round and I’ll cut it out. You’re still in theory sharing.

My understanding of copyright is to protect the creator from plagerisation and profiting from it, either with financial gain or reputation.

Procrastination get behind me

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 10:00:45 AM »

Yes.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 10:07:45 AM »
I do think this is a difficult concept to grasp, especially as so many patterns are free on the internet now.  Also, different countries have different copyright rules.

It must be really confusing, especially for newbies, and being sewers, we just want to share.  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »

You then get the situation where someone wants to use one of your patterns, which is no longer in print and unable to be bought, but you don’t want to get rid of it. You have to tell your friend, sorry you can’t trace it due to copyright. Does it still breech copyright to say, bring your fabric round and I’ll cut it out. You’re still in theory sharing.

My understanding of copyright is to protect the creator from plagerisation and profiting from it, either with financial gain or reputation.

This is where copyright gets into a grey area.  Everyone knows that this sort of thing happens - I've come across it lots of times with lace patterns; you lend someone a book and who knows if they copy a few pages?  Their wrong if anything ever came of it, which is unlikely. 

However openly advertising that you have patterns that you are willing to share could very well get you into trouble, especially on public access internet sites!  If you did try to advertise on TSP I'm sure the mods would delete your post, and possibly even cancel your subscription.

Lizzy777

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »
No one would know. But not being found out doesn't make it OK to break the law.

I wasn't suggesting that people should break the law at all. And I have never copied any of my patterns but realistically
it sounds like people do copy their patterns and some even keep their copies for a long time. All I was stating was that is would be virtually impossible to check who keeps copies of sewing patterns and who doesn't in the privacy of their own home. 

Lizzy777

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 12:45:56 PM »
@Francesca   This forum has a post on here where someone was offering to trace a pattern for them and send it to them? I presume then that is ok and not breaking the law, as the post never got deleted?  In fact the original request asked to borrow the pattern to trace it themselves?   

Greybird

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 13:44:21 PM »
It's very easy to get bogged down, in a case like this, with the letter of the law and no-one is likely to be held accountable for any infringements - especially as "real" crimes are going uninvestigated because of lack of resources. What it is important to remember is that the law was written, in essence, to prevent someone profiting financially and commercially from someone else's work, and nor should they. However, friends sharing a pattern doesn't fit into that scenario - the "borrower" probably would not have gone out and bought the pattern otherwise and if the pattern is out of print they would be unable to do so anyway. No-one in this case is losing out. It's little different to me buying a designer frock and lending it to a friend.

Lizzy777

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 15:02:29 PM »
We must have missed that! It says in our membership agreement not to post copyright-infringing things so it should have been reported/deleted.

I never even thought about it until we started discussing the pattern copying today. Good job it wasn't copied then isn't it  :|

As greybird said. There's bigger fish to fry regarding crime atm. Not an excuse but just a fact of life at present?

lizzy

* sorry was predictive text that changed the spelling in the original post. I have amended it as soon as I saw it, which is just now.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 16:23:13 PM by Lizzy777 »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 15:53:36 PM »
It's quite interesting when you think there are magazines out there showing you how to copy RTW garments to make a pattern from your fave clothes!   :o

aprilla

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 22:11:19 PM »
If you loan me your pattern magazine, that's totally ok, no copyright issue there.
I wonder what's the story if I make something from the magazine while I have it, and then return the magazine to you. Is my garment a copyright problem?

Helen M

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2019, 17:15:59 PM »
It probably is legally, but if I'm honest I wouldn't give it another thought. Who is going to know?

Just my personal opinion........
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55