The Sewing Place

Pattern Copying

Lizzy777

Re: Pattern Copying
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2019, 15:02:29 PM »
We must have missed that! It says in our membership agreement not to post copyright-infringing things so it should have been reported/deleted.

I never even thought about it until we started discussing the pattern copying today. Good job it wasn't copied then isn't it  :|

As greybird said. There's bigger fish to fry regarding crime atm. Not an excuse but just a fact of life at present?

lizzy

* sorry was predictive text that changed the spelling in the original post. I have amended it as soon as I saw it, which is just now.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 16:23:13 PM by Lizzy777 »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2019, 15:53:36 PM »
It's quite interesting when you think there are magazines out there showing you how to copy RTW garments to make a pattern from your fave clothes!   :o

Francesca

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 16:03:49 PM »
It's quite interesting when you think there are magazines out there showing you how to copy RTW garments to make a pattern from your fave clothes!   :o

In many countries the resultant clothing is not individual enough to be considered an 'artistic work' and therefore is not copyrighted. What is copyrighted is the laid-out diagrams and instructions to make the thing. That is essentially either a literary work (e.g knitting pattern) or an artistic work (e.g a sewing pattern, drawn up) and is therefore covered by copyright. 99.9% of clothing is not considered individual enough to have its own artistic merit and therefore be copyrighted.

You could, for example, make a garment from a pattern but write your own pattern and instructions and distribute them. The resultant garment might look identical to the one made from the pattern you didn't write, but as long as your pattern drawing and instructions are significantly different enough to show they were not copied, you would retain the copyright for those directions.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 16:05:22 PM by Francesca »
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 35.4m
Up/down: -46.95m down

Follow me on Instagram

aprilla

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2019, 22:11:19 PM »
If you loan me your pattern magazine, that's totally ok, no copyright issue there.
I wonder what's the story if I make something from the magazine while I have it, and then return the magazine to you. Is my garment a copyright problem?

Helen M

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 17:15:59 PM »
It probably is legally, but if I'm honest I wouldn't give it another thought. Who is going to know?

Just my personal opinion........
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 30 metres
So far: 5m metres

aprilla

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2019, 19:59:38 PM »
I'm not too worried about it but I like playing with all the 'what ifs'   :P

PollyWally

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2019, 02:20:36 AM »
Our library has Burda magazines, including the patterns, available to borrow. Presumably multiple borrowers can trace patterns and make items from only one copy of the magazine.

Ploshkin

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2019, 07:29:22 AM »
I think the aim of the legislation is to prevent someone using someone else's pattern commercially / making multiples for sale.  No one is going to come knocking on your door if you've copied a pattern to make yourself a pair of trousers.
Life's too short for ironing.

aprilla

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »
Our library has Burda magazines, including the patterns, available to borrow. Presumably multiple borrowers can trace patterns and make items from only one copy of the magazine.
It's a good point.

That's a great resource from your library @PollyWally, nice :)

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2019, 11:03:39 AM »
I visited my local library yesterday to collect a couple of books I’d ordered for my DS and happened to browse through the sewing and crafting section. Lots of books on knitting and crochet with a couple of books on patchwork but not one on general sewing. Maybe they were all on loan but as the local newsagent doesn’t stock any sewing magazines but at least 4 different crochet mags (!!), I suspect they just don’t have any.

I can’t imagine them stocking the Burda magazine but maybe I should ask?

Luckily, I’ve collected my own mini sewing library at home. The Works had some fab sewing books at excellent prices just before Christmas so I stocked up.

Holly Berry

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2019, 15:22:07 PM »
I think the aim of the legislation is to prevent someone using someone else's pattern commercially / making multiples for sale.  No one is going to come knocking on your door if you've copied a pattern to make yourself a pair of trousers.

My thoughts too. It’s really all about money.
Procrastination get behind me

Puzzler

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2019, 15:53:58 PM »
I read a forum post on Pattern Review the other day where a poster quite blatantly admitted she buys patterns, traces a copy for herself and then re-sells them.  >:)

Sewingsue

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2019, 16:15:39 PM »
I read a forum post on Pattern Review the other day where a poster quite blatantly admitted she buys patterns, traces a copy for herself and then re-sells them.  >:)
That is the sort of trick the laws are aimed at (and how stupid do you have to be to broadcast that you do it?)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Manuela

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2019, 00:05:25 AM »

PR has a reporting function (as do we) - best to report posts like that, so that the forum doesn’t get in trouble. It’s impossible for mods to read every single post, so using that function would alert us.

grannysyb

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2019, 16:07:15 PM »
I've just been to the Fasion and Textile museum to see an exhibition on the swinging sixties,  and there was a coat by Mary Quant with a little shoulder cape. I had a black wool version of that in 1967, by a different designer! I worked in a boutique in York and went to London with my boss on buying trips. Copying of clothes was rife  then, I remember seeing garments from different designers hanging in showrooms which were going to be copied