Pattern Copying

aprilla

Re: Pattern Copying
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2019, 19:59:38 PM »
I'm not too worried about it but I like playing with all the 'what ifs'   :P

PollyWally

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 02:20:36 AM »
Our library has Burda magazines, including the patterns, available to borrow. Presumably multiple borrowers can trace patterns and make items from only one copy of the magazine.

Ploshkin

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2019, 07:29:22 AM »
I think the aim of the legislation is to prevent someone using someone else's pattern commercially / making multiples for sale.  No one is going to come knocking on your door if you've copied a pattern to make yourself a pair of trousers.
Life's too short for ironing.

aprilla

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »
Our library has Burda magazines, including the patterns, available to borrow. Presumably multiple borrowers can trace patterns and make items from only one copy of the magazine.
It's a good point.

That's a great resource from your library @PollyWally, nice :)

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2019, 11:03:39 AM »
I visited my local library yesterday to collect a couple of books I’d ordered for my DS and happened to browse through the sewing and crafting section. Lots of books on knitting and crochet with a couple of books on patchwork but not one on general sewing. Maybe they were all on loan but as the local newsagent doesn’t stock any sewing magazines but at least 4 different crochet mags (!!), I suspect they just don’t have any.

I can’t imagine them stocking the Burda magazine but maybe I should ask?

Luckily, I’ve collected my own mini sewing library at home. The Works had some fab sewing books at excellent prices just before Christmas so I stocked up.

Holly Berry

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2019, 15:22:07 PM »
I think the aim of the legislation is to prevent someone using someone else's pattern commercially / making multiples for sale.  No one is going to come knocking on your door if you've copied a pattern to make yourself a pair of trousers.

My thoughts too. It’s really all about money.
Procrastination get behind me

Puzzler

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2019, 15:53:58 PM »
I read a forum post on Pattern Review the other day where a poster quite blatantly admitted she buys patterns, traces a copy for herself and then re-sells them.  >:)

Sewingsue

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2019, 16:15:39 PM »
I read a forum post on Pattern Review the other day where a poster quite blatantly admitted she buys patterns, traces a copy for herself and then re-sells them.  >:)
That is the sort of trick the laws are aimed at (and how stupid do you have to be to broadcast that you do it?)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Manuela

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 00:05:25 AM »

PR has a reporting function (as do we) - best to report posts like that, so that the forum doesn’t get in trouble. It’s impossible for mods to read every single post, so using that function would alert us.

grannysyb

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2019, 16:07:15 PM »
I've just been to the Fasion and Textile museum to see an exhibition on the swinging sixties,  and there was a coat by Mary Quant with a little shoulder cape. I had a black wool version of that in 1967, by a different designer! I worked in a boutique in York and went to London with my boss on buying trips. Copying of clothes was rife  then, I remember seeing garments from different designers hanging in showrooms which were going to be copied

Kwaaked

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2019, 20:00:43 PM »
I am copying a pattern...copyright was 1904.  It's out of the legal issue...but I am not tracing a pattern exact.  I am taking a drawing and drafting it to be similar.  None of the embroidery or lacework is part of the pattern.  It's not an issue...the company that issued it wants a copy for their records.

Otherwise, unless I draft or drape them myself, I stay away from sharing.

BrendaP

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2019, 21:47:36 PM »
If you understand pattern cutting you should be able to look at a garment and draft something very similar for yourself.  That surely isn't copying as such, it's taking inspiration from the original. 

Copying is tracing, photographing, photocopying, scanning the original paper pattern.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2019, 23:09:20 PM »
@Lizzy777  Yes, that was me.  Sorry, got so bogged down in her not finding the OOP pattern that I forgot all about copypright.  I did try writing to the company asking for clarification, some time ago,  but got no reply from them at all.  Still, I'll remember in future.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Efemera

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2019, 18:07:58 PM »
I’ve just bought a pattern from eBay ....a Vogue pattern, it’s what we used to call a discard, it has the folded pattern and the instructions but no envelope, however the envelope has been copied and that coy was included. I didn’t realise all this, just thought I was buying a normal pattern, I checked on her listing and she says all patterns have no envelope.... I thought selling these discards wasn’t allowed.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2019, 18:34:47 PM »
No it's not allowed @Efemera.  They are supposed to be destroyed and the envelopes returned to the pattern companies.