The Sewing Place

Up my game

Happymrsg

Up my game
« on: May 23, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »
I am put off sewing because I'm often disappointed with the fit. Also I think I sometimes select unsuitable fabrics.
I have sewn for years and have made some successful garments & some never ever worn.
Recently I have made a few simple tops, including the Mandy Boat Tee, a free pattern from Tessuti & I'm really pleased with it, and The French Dart dress, one dress I love & the second I'm not sure about, although I wore it to work on Tuesday, but I'm not sure whether i'll wear it again..
I was chatting at home today & DH was saying he thinks I should up my game - make something more challenging. He suggests I make a dress for a wedding we'll be going to later this summer. He thinks my garments are fine - I'm just too self critical.
I read the thread by @annieeg & feel jealous of the help she had from @Holly Berry. I would love help like that. I do go to a sewing class & tonight I'm going to discuss my fitting issues with the teacher.
I've discovered I bought a class on Craftsy -  Sew the Perfect Fitwith Lynda Maynard in 2013. I have the pattern that accompanies the course, Vogue 8766, a pattern I really like. I can still access the class now that the site is Bluprint.
So, I'm going to work through the Craftsy/Bluprint course & hopefully can turn out a lovely dress.

There, Ive told you all - I'll have to see it through. :frock:

b15erk

Re: Up my game
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 12:53:30 PM »
Good for you @Happymrsg .  I've had similar issues, and it's very hard to get the fit right when you sew on your own.  I always doubt the dress will fit, so I add a bit, then a bit more - just in case, and before I know it I'm wearing a shroud!

Look forward to seeing the new improved fit!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 13:06:10 PM »
Sewing and fitting are two entirely different skills...it’s taken me years to know what I need to do...you’ll get there.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 13:08:17 PM »
Good luck @Happymrsg. Having a deadline will help as you will have to keep to it.

I will be watching with interest and cheering you on :D

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 13:39:02 PM »
@Happymrsg
Really wish you well :)

Morgan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 16:50:10 PM »
Just a thought HappyMrsG - sometimes it helps to go to your wardrobe and pull out two outfits or items that you wear more than any other at the moment and then pull out your favourite piece - the one you love most (whether it fits or not, whether you wore it recently or not for ages).  Also pull out the footwear that you wear with these items.

Now what is your 'wow' colour - the one that always seems to lift your skin tone and makes you smile when you feel good in a colour.

Could making versions in similar styles and fabrics, in different shades of your WoW colour become your - upping the game - project?
If it turns out that the styles and garment types are fairly simple then up the game by working with interesting fabrics - eg. instead of ordinary jersey, try bamboo jersey and silk jersey and so on.

(My issue is that what I love to sew and make is no longer what I wear in my current lifestyle)

Happymrsg

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 23:10:24 PM »
Thanks for you supportive replies.
Morgan - I know what you mean about what you love to sew isn't what you like to wear. I do try to make clothes that I like to wear but I struggle, & always have, finding patterns & fabrics that are like RTW clothes. Its even harder now there are fewer fabric shops.
Efemera - how did you learn what you need to do to get things to fit?
Jessie - I regularly make things too big because I'm afraid of them being too tight, unflattering etc.
When I spoke to my sewing teacher tonight about this, she was surprised - she sees me as a confident & accurate sewer.
I have a dress in my wardrobe that I made when I was in my 20s. I'd never tackle anything like it now because it was quite complicated with a lot of detail & I'm concerned about the time it takes, it might not fit, etc etc
I've just got to tackle things, not avoid them because I'm afraid of failing.
And I've got to spend less time on the internet, looking at other people's sewing when I should be sewing myself!

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 08:29:00 AM »
I have a dress in my wardrobe that I made when I was in my 20s. I'd never tackle anything like it now because it was quite complicated with a lot of detail & I'm concerned about the time it takes, it might not fit, etc etc
I've just got to tackle things, not avoid them because I'm afraid of failing.
And I've got to spend less time on the internet, looking at other people's sewing when I should be sewing myself!
Relate relate relate  :|

(back in the mists of time I made an evening dress with a boned body, it fitted and I wore it. However IIRC I used the pattern out of the envelope "the pattern is my size, so it is supposed to fit me").

Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »
@Happymrsg it pays to make a toile especially if it’s a special or complicated garment.  That time isn’t wasted because once you have it right you can go on to make several dresses, tops or whatever it is, just change necklines, sleeves, collars, add cuffs etc etc. 
I never start from scratch.  I have patterns that I made when I was at college. Over the years they have been adapted to accommodate weight increases and recently losses.  A blouse pattern has become a dress and a jacket just by adapting and adding the required ease.  All the fit is there so it’s a waste to start again.

mammafairy

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
Its even harder now there are fewer fabric shops.

In Manchester area we are quite lucky for fabric shops. Depending what you are after there is Abakhan- there is one in Altrincham, Bolton as well as Central Manchester- all carrying slightly different lines- then Bambers do not do badly for a smallish space and then there is the warehouse in Eccles- can't recall what it is called? Fabricland or something like that-and then there are the Indian shops in Rusholme, and that is apart from Leons Near the south Manchester cemetery, and a few others.
No we do not have heaps of choice, but more than a lot of other places. It would be easier if there were several of us after the identical fabric- I know a place where you can buy but only by the 20 metres or so... and their range is amazing. I get to go there for mass buying for costume making.

It is patterns that I find more difficult!