The Sewing Place

The inspiration/knock-off thread

Manuela

Re: The inspiration/knock-off thread
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
@Manuela it's lovely. I'm sure yours will have stripes that aren't such a mess in the middle though.

Being short-waisted, there won’t be a waist seam on my dress.

@jintie I don’t know what you’re talking about  :devil:

jintie

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2019, 15:08:17 PM »
Manuela- oops, I forgot to add, later slipping into your silken pyjamas and reclining on the balcony sipping gin slings.....
(I have a pattern for Singapore pyjamas- they sound most improbable, mostly consisting of circle shapes).
Rottweiler with scissors

Manuela

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2019, 15:37:12 PM »
Manuela- oops, I forgot to add, later slipping into your silken pyjamas and reclining on the balcony sipping gin slings.....

Manuela

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2019, 10:32:05 AM »
I cut it yesterday and, while Mr Manuela is in the UK, I sewed to my heart’s desire today. So, here is my new dressing gown inspired by The Hustle.
I cut two more already, as I decided I need some more glamorous things to wear lounging around.... I’m going to wear this tonight when I watch the Graham Norton show - I think we still have some of his very own Sauvignon Blanc in the fridge  :devil:
Oh, and it has side seam pocketses  :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Efemera

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2019, 12:35:51 PM »
Very glam.... love it.

PollyWally

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2019, 13:00:49 PM »
That's lovely and very sophisticated for lounging.

dolcevita

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2019, 16:18:53 PM »
Gosh, that's fabulous! I have drssing gown envy!

annieeg

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2019, 16:36:01 PM »
@Manuela
As usual - its fantastic!
What's the fabric content?

Manuela

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2019, 16:43:55 PM »
@annieeg it’s 100% cotton, a discontinued print from Timeless Treasures - a nice and soft quilting cotton.
The green zebra print is the next  project, then I can toss out the dressing gowns I made 7-8 years ago - about time too 8)

Kwaaked

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2019, 17:51:00 PM »
I'm making this dress for the state fair...not quite the same, but basic idea.

I'm going to work on it while I teach the summer sewing camp to teen girls, or at least drape it.   Last year I made most of a Chanel type jacket.

All but one are the same girls from last year (its an advanced beginner class) and mostly they just need an adult sponsor for it, although I have to "approve" their garment choice, and I let them "approve" my garment for the session. 

Manuela

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2019, 10:30:33 AM »
Another day with rain and thunderstorms, so I finished the second zebra gown   8)
I’m very happy with these and find the side seam pockets much more useful and comfortable that the patched on pockets one usually finds on dressing gowns.

Nevis5

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »
Oh @Manula , I love, love, love your dressing gowns!  They are just fabulous. 

@Kwaaked , have you got to make all those roses?  that looks like a bit of a task, manipulating that amount of fabric!  Good luck.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
I read on the Guardian website about the spat about 'cultural appropriation' as regards kimonos.  I asked my 'woke' teenage son what the current thinking is and we both agreed that it's cultural appropriation if it's either done disrespectfully or done by a commercial organisation who dumbs it down to rake in the cash.  If neither of these is true then it's an homage.

So, day-glo tartan kilts & plaids being used in Japanese whisky commercials = cultural appropriation
Making a practical kimono-style garment for yourself = homage
Go to Sparkhill or Southall and buy the full sari works then wear it badly = disrespectful

At least, that's my opinion.

I have a dream of making a dirndl in rich plaid silk (saw some in peacock shades which would be lovely) with decoration on the apron of little sprigs of harebells and heather because my re-enactment unit has close links with Swabian re-enactors (who come here and wear plaid).  I don't think I'll ever get round to it, though, and being the wrong side of 60 it's probably not going to get much wear!!!

Efemera

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
What pattern did you use @Manuela?

Manuela

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2019, 12:46:25 PM »
What pattern did you use @Manuela?
Vogue 1610, view A, lengthened to knee length  :)