The Sewing Place

The inspiration/knock-off thread

dolcevita

The inspiration/knock-off thread
« on: May 23, 2019, 19:01:44 PM »
Does anyone fancy joining in a general chat about RTW garments that they've seen and would like to replicate or use as the basis for their own version? 

Now that my sewing hiatus is coming to an end, unusually for me I've actually being thinking in some sort of co-ordinated way about what I want to sew over the next few months.

I've got loads of magazines and patterns but also like to have a drool at what high end RTW has to offer and have been doing just that over the last week or so.  True to form, I've seen a gorgeous jacket and a couple of tops that I really like but will never buy.  Because they are Armani and outrageously expensive, and I reckon I can get pretty close to them myself.  These will never be exact replicas as for many of the garments it simply isn't possible to buy the same fabric, hence the thread title including 'inspiration'.  I also think that I'll have fabric close to what I need because my stash has reached gargantuan proportions and needs to be worked through, and this would be a good way to use up some of it.

So, I'll kick off with the three lovlies I saw on the Armani site this week.  I've put in links as I'm not sure if it's permitted to copy the photos.  I'm always drawn to simpler designs, although I'm not averse to prints either, but plain block colours are what I wear most of the time.  The downside of this is that if the garment is going to be worthwhile, then gorgeous fabric and super quality sewing are the order of the day as you have nowhere to hide otherwise.

The first is this black silk shirt.  The front view looks, and is, relatively plain, but the back detail is beautiful.  So the basic shirt premise is easy enough to copy but the back will take a little working out.  And is that a lace underlay beneath the back slit, or does the model have a tattoo? I can't decide.  Either way, I really want one of these.

Armani silk crepe shirt with guru collar

Fabric for the shirt is easy enough to get hold of.  Not cheap, but available.

Next up is a polyester blouse, again with simple lines and, again, not cheap.  It's one of those elegantly restrained pieces that is so easy to wear and that is so easy to drop food down the front of.    I reckon the design won't be difficult to achieve and poly crepe is easy enough to come by.

Armani poly blouse with front pleat

At £320 a pop, this may be next on my 'to sew' list.

Finally, here's the one that will take mucho worko to replicate.  I don't stand a cat in hell's chance of getting the fabric but do have plenty of woven suiting/coating that will look good, though I will need to add extra ease at the original uses a knit fabric.  Take a look at how they've finished the hems, too - it looks like high-end wooly nylon in an overlocker to me!  The tricky bit here is the design around the shoulders.  I'm pretty sure I've seen something similar in Burda over the last 12 months, so I'll need to scour my magazines to see if I can find it.  The price of the original is enough motivation to make me put in a bit of time on this one.

Armani ottoman knit jacket

I was actually looking for interesting t-shirt designs when I started this, but I didn't like any of the armani ones! :ninja:

crafter

Re: The inspiration/knock-off thread
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 19:24:23 PM »
Tatoo, I think.

It's about the cut.  I don't think I would use any Burda patterns, I've never been enthralled with them.  I would look at Vogue.  I am sure there are some that you can adapt there.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 19:51:39 PM »
Not keen on the jacket but can see you in it!   Really like the others.
The black one is interesting. Looks like the backs are held together at the top and by a ring of fabric in the middle.  By crossing the backs at the neck it preserves some modesty.  Pattern cutting wise I think I would keep the lower back on grain and then slash and spread at the waist area raising it upward. This would give you the necessary excess to gather up and keep the hemline and lower half looking straight. 
The peach one should be straightforward to replicate although the back looks quite big. 

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 20:18:58 PM »
What is a guru collar...always though it was called a Nehru collar... shows what I know!

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 23:05:29 PM »
I like all 3 of those @dolcevita but especially like the peach blouse. I like the fact that it's loose at the back - so many tops seem to hug the hips. I also like the back seam in it. I often put seams down the back even when the pattern doesn't require it. Will watch this with interest.

aprilla

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 23:09:57 PM »
I love browsing Pinterest and nice shops for inspiration and have loads of things pinned in Pinterest. Well, I think I have... I keep pinning but never remember to go back and look.
I love that black Armani silk crepe shirt with guru collar, and the Burberry coat... Gorgeous. The Vivienne Westwood jacket would be a real exercise in pattern matching!
I must go and see what I've got pinned. I'm thinking mine are more 'over the top' than actually wearable but... inspiring :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 23:11:49 PM by aprilla »

Morgan

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 02:58:18 AM »
for the Armani Ottoman jacket it wouldn't take much pattern work with Lekala 5543 to get a similar look - perhaps add a little more height to the shoulders and sleeve cap and extend a shoulder pad a little - it's a very squared shoulder look. 
A few similar fabrics around too - like this one perhaps
this one more white than black
and this navy with white could give it a softer look

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:25:06 AM »
Me, me, me - I love a thread like this.
My current plan is to make my version of the zebra print kimono Anne Hathaway wore in The Hustle.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I think I’ll make two versions of it, using Vogue 1610

The fun version in this fabric

A glamorous version using this

And, of course, stripes - have to decide which ones...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:28:36 AM by Manuela »

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 09:31:43 AM »
What an excellent thread!

This is something I would aspire to, but just haven't got the time or the skills to make such beautiful garments.  I will be following this thread avidly though, and hopefully picking up gems of sewing information.

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 09:39:19 AM »
What is a guru collar...always though it was called a Nehru collar... shows what I know!

@Efemera, my thoughts exactly!

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 10:14:21 AM »
Nehru for me too. Nehru has a button, Mandarin does not. (Nehru is also commonly known as 'Grandad' here).
Been researching them for my Dottie Angel jacket.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
Maybe the Armani design team thought that they have invented a new collar....  ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 00:39:18 AM by Manuela »

Lizzy777

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 14:53:45 PM »
@Manuela
Thats a lovely kimono jacket that anne hathaway is wearing in the film. I haven't seen the film yet but after seeing your posting this morning, I decided to look for a pattern too. I thought of drafting up a kimono one myself but its not practical for me to do it at present. So I have bought this as a pdf and getting it printed out at the printer shop. I may slightly narrow off the lapels slightly though. Just looking for some fabric for it at present.

https://shopwiksten.com/collections/womens-sewing-patterns/products/womens-kimono-jacket-sewing-pattern-1

Thanks for sharing the information earlier. :)

lizzy

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 15:14:36 PM »
@Lizzy777 here a picture of the actual kimono Anna Hathaway is wearing, in a different colour-way, retail price £790.-  :o

https://oliviavonhalle.com/uk/shop/by-product/robes-and-kimonos/capability-zebedee-full-length-robe.html

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 15:18:07 PM »
Has anyone seen all the comments and discussions about misappropriating cultural garments... namely the Kimono?.. seems some pattern designers have been shamed into renaming their patterns.