The Sewing Place

Morning!

lizardeatspaper

Morning!
« on: May 24, 2019, 09:00:41 AM »
Morning from a very sunny Cotswolds, another (practical) newbie seamster here - my sewing experience so far amounts to some cushions so nothing too technical!

I had a crazy idea the other day that I'd like to try making some clothes for myself but I can't really wear cushions...

If anyone has any advice on a suitable progression path from cushions all the way up to (potentially one day) a suit of some kind I'd be more than glad to hear it. Book/pattern recommendations, online guides, suggested equipment (I have nothing at the moment) all more than welcome.

I've been a knitter for years so do have some craft knowledge but I imagine that very little of that is directly transferable to sewing.

Ta in advance and thanks for having me.

Iminei

Re: Morning!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 09:05:14 AM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place John,

I think you'll have to find your way into The Wardrobe and ask your garment related questions there, be careful you dont miss the turn or you'll end up in the Darkside and once we've got you in there ...... :devil:

Enjoy!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 09:09:11 AM »
A Big Welcome from me too. Look forward to following your sewing journey, and seeing some of your projects!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »
Hello and welcome.
Your post reminded me of when I went back to playing piano after donkeys' years and decided to take a few rust removing lessons. My teacher said (knowing I'd lots of previous experience) "where would you like to go with this?"
Having not played for over forty years I told him that I'd like to play like Jools Holland. Similar to your cushion covers to suit progression really!  0_0

ps he laughed!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 09:26:23 AM »
Morning from a very sunny Cotswolds, another (practical) newbie seamster here - my sewing experience so far amounts to some cushions so nothing too technical!

I had a crazy idea the other day that I'd like to try making some clothes for myself but I can't really wear cushions...

If anyone has any advice on a suitable progression path from cushions all the way up to (potentially one day) a suit of some kind I'd be more than glad to hear it. Book/pattern recommendations, online guides, suggested equipment (I have nothing at the moment) all more than welcome.

I've been a knitter for years so do have some craft knowledge but I imagine that very little of that is directly transferable to sewing.

Ta in advance and thanks for having me.

One of the first garments I made was a sheath dress, it was a good start because it taught me a lot (darts, sleeves, invisible zip, facings) without being overwhelming with fitting. If you're interested, I suggest the Copen pattern by Made To Sew because it's free and there's a full very comprehensive tutorial on Youtube to walk you through it.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
Welcome to TSP @lizardeatspaper

I'm not sure that you would want to wear a dress :o  The simplest male garment is probably a tee shirt, though that does mean working with stretchy fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

lizardeatspaper

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 09:58:56 AM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place John,

I think you'll have to find your way into The Wardrobe and ask your garment related questions there, be careful you dont miss the turn or you'll end up in the Darkside and once we've got you in there ...... :devil:

Enjoy!

I think the Darkside sounds like my natural home!

lizardeatspaper

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 10:00:15 AM »
Welcome to TSP @lizardeatspaper

I'm not sure that you would want to wear a dress :o  The simplest male garment is probably a tee shirt, though that does mean working with stretchy fabric.

Maybe something for the weekend...  :o

snoozi soozi

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 10:06:05 AM »
Welcome @lizardeatspaper you will receive good advice here but only if you send pics  :devil:

How about some pyjama bottoms as an 'easy' first project. Short-legged ones for summer?  :P
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

lizardeatspaper

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 10:18:45 AM »
Welcome @lizardeatspaper you will receive good advice here but only if you send pics  :devil:

How about some pyjama bottoms as an 'easy' first project. Short-legged ones for summer?  :P

I like the pyjamas idea - I can then also make a T-shirt to go with them as suggested by Brenda.

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 10:20:42 AM »
I like the pyjamas idea - I can then also make a T-shirt to go with them as suggested by Brenda.
I made some last year to break myself in to garment making. We could all get into them...another week-end pastime perhaps... :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 10:48:02 AM »
Haha, mens garments are notoriously more difficult than womens, not least because there's less patterns out there and less variation.

Pyjama bottoms are a good place to start, and if you've done pillows before you'll definitely be able to do the seams as theyre mostly straight.

A dressing gown/bathrobe if you're the type of guy that wears them. Shorts are a good next step and I've found making joggers to be quite simple but interesting.

A polo shirt might be a good idea as well, as well as a real full shirt when you're comfortable with that.

Jalie have some nice basic mens patterns, some of them are a bit old fashioned though. Thread theory also make mens patterns.

jintie

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 15:17:24 PM »
Mens clothing is a lot easier to fit, since they mostly have fewer 3D curvy bits. Your first step is accurate body measurements- Burda have a checklist that you can choose your closest pattern size from.
Rottweiler with scissors

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 15:40:53 PM »
Hi and welcome from me too  :D

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 17:41:47 PM »
Welcome from me as well. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath