The Sewing Place

Machine Guidance

lizardeatspaper

Machine Guidance
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:56:28 AM »
Morning peeps,

I'm a newbie here (so "Hi" if you've not seen my post in the newbie forum) and was advised to post in here as I'm mostly interested in making clothes.

I've been advised to perhaps start with things like pyjamas and T-shirts but eventually I'd like to have a go at anything & everything (focusing on men's clothing for myself).

Bearing in mind the above, I'm after some advice on what would make a good starting machine - either specific models or things to look out for in general - and any other tools/equipment you consider invaluable.

Any other advice also greatly welcome!

wrenkins

Re: Machine Guidance
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:59:08 AM »
 0_0 here we go.....
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:06:24 AM »
@wrenkins you are very naughty!

@lizardeatspaper there are so many sewing machines out there to choose from, that the best I can advise is to go into a bricks and mortar sewing machine shop (I know, they are thin on the ground), and try a few machines out.

Lots of us use vintage machines, and love their simplicity and reliability, but others like machines that come with bells and whistles.

Sorry, it really is down to personal choice and budget.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
 :angel:  < ME!

My machine story started at primary school on treadles. My mum had a plug in fancy Singer 15k at home but I loved the treadle.
A huge lump of my first paycheck went on a Singer and I still use it.  Very basic, bangs through everything and gets the job done.
A couple of years ago I bought a cheapo computerised Brother for everyday and P&Q business. Mostly plastic, a bit lightweight in every sense but fine for what I want.
On Wednesday I bought a 1937 Singer 28k.  :loveit: In 80 odd years it will still be going. The other two? Not so much.
My advice to start with would be to get something that does the basics well. Lots of recommendations on here for Sewing Machines Direct. I've never used them but if you're near one start there.
 :sew: :vintage:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
@wrenkins , same here.  Mum had an old treadle, and I got the bug.  I have several treadles, but a good few vintage electric Singers - just love the oldies!

My most modern SM is my Pfaff 1475cd.  I bought her new about 30+ years ago, and I live in dread of anything serious happening to her.

@lizardeatspaper , it really is a very addictive hobby this sewing lark!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

jintie

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »
Take a trip to Cribbs Bristol and visit John Lewis. You can get a basic machine for under £200. I would pick one that does variable stitch width and length. Their own make is Janome, a good brand.They sometimes have sales.
Hobbycraft is also there and does other makes.
Check out machine reviews on Patternreview.
Fabricland in central Bristol sells cheap poly menswear fabric if you want to try making trousers- when you are happy with the fit, you can splash out on better fabric.
Rottweiler with scissors

Radiofan

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 12:03:44 PM »
I suggest starting out with a basic 2nd hand machine in good working order. They are cheap, return on investment is quick. Once you learn the basic skills, you can upgrade in whatever direction you want.

My 1908 Singer 28K is a very capable of producing a well sewn garment. However, there are a few things that make things much easier.

1) Reverse stitch to lock the stitch ends. A little button to reverse is nice to have, most machines post WW2 have something to do this. With the 28K, one would lift the foot, pull the fabric back a stitch or two, drop the foot and cotinue sewing. Not difficult, but you'd be surprised how many times you need to do it!
2) A motor. This allows both hands to be used to guide the fabric. A treadle would work, but is expensive, hard to find and is really heavy.
3) Zig-zag stitch. Fabrics have evolved and we now have a selection of stretch fabrics to choose from. A zig-zag stitch stretches with the fabric, resulting in a stronger seam. Some of my machines have loads of fancy stitches, but I have never used them in any clothing patterns. The zig-zag stitch is required in a number of patterns I have.

If you are thinking of buying a brand new machine, almost all of them will do a decent job on clothing, for a while. If you want it to last, you need to ensure it has a metal frame underneath all the plastic.

Take a look in the "Machine Talk" section for reviews and recommedations on specific makes/models.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:17:12 PM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »
I also recommend John Lewis. Good range of machines, good advice, a free lesson showing how to use your machine and dependable for a guarantee. Decide on your price limit and see what is available.

lizardeatspaper

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, I'm actually off to Bristol on Sunday anyway so will take a look in JL if only to see a few close up and get an idea of what I'm heading for.

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
Happy hunting! I bought this one 10 years ago and it's a great. My preference is for mechanical machines as there's less to go wrong, but you'll have the opportunity to see computerised stuff too.

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »
  @lizardeatspaper, meet Esmeralda the Pink. Bought in John Lewis in Cribbs Causeway 5 years ago for £79.- (the demonstration machine) and still going strong. This is the fanciest machine I have, all the others are vintage Singers....
Wave to @jintie  ;)

lizardeatspaper

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »
  @lizardeatspaper, meet Esmeralda the Pink. Bought in John Lewis in Cribbs Causeway 5 years ago for £79.- (the demonstration machine) and still going strong. This is the fanciest machine I have, all the others are vintage Singers....
Wave to @jintie  ;)

That's pink for sure!

twopence

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 13:21:57 PM »
@lizardeatspaper other colours are available.

Janome also have an offer till June 4th and have a 219s for £99.  I’m going to have a look next week as I want a second machine to take out and about to classes leaving my Bernina at home in the cabinet.

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 13:57:04 PM »
That's pink for sure!
@lizardeatspaper Bella, a Singer 222K made in 1955 is also pink (repainted) and a brilliant machine....

You don’t need an expensive computerised machine to learn how to sew or sew well. If there is a vintage machine among your family members or friends, take it on. Alternatively a basic John Lewis machine (which is a a well made Janome under the colourful cover) will do the job nicely too.

annieeg

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 17:25:30 PM »
@lizardeatspaper
Regarding the search for a machine - Amazon have a singer @ £99 on special for the next 6 hours.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Singer-MC-3223-Machine-Plastic/dp/B06Y2PRC2Z?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_cc0d9a54_2&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE