The Sewing Place

Kaffe Fassett at the American Museum, Bath

LeilaMay

Kaffe Fassett at the American Museum, Bath
« on: May 24, 2019, 17:51:23 PM »
Sadly I found this a bit under-whelming, but that said I'm not a huge fan anyways, so perhaps I'm biased.

Kaffe Fassett has "been inspired"by quits from the splendid collection at the American Museum, and created new quits.
(From the books on sale this seems to be a common thread - he's been to several places and done the same, America, Ireland, Sweden, Morocco, Italy - a little new work but quite a lot of reworking of existing ideas it seemed to me).

But having seen exhibitions of his at that venue before, also inspired by works from their collection, I found it a bit samey, nothing new leapt out at me, the colour palette is a bright and bold as ever, the shapes intricate, but I honestly felt I'd seen similar before, and there was almost no writing on the walls about them - you're expected to buy one of his books I suppose.
It really felt a lot like copying in new colours, and whilst that's possibly inspiring for some folks, I had hoped to see something new - a different use of colour perhaps, or new designs or scales as well as existing historical works reinterpreted/reproduced.

It's not a cheap venue to enter, and honestly I'd have had just as much enjoyment in a big fabric shop, and not wasted my entrance fee  :(

Perhaps others will see it and give a more rounded view? It's on until November this year.

Leila May 2019

Deafoldbat

Re: Kaffe Fassett at the American Museum, Bath
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 19:35:50 PM »
Did you go onto the museum proper? The quilts in there are much nicer. Went with a friend a few years ago and had a long quilty chat with the lady in the quilts room.
KF's style is a bit marmite. (Some people don't like marmite...but some people do. No accounting for taste.)

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 19:48:59 PM »
Oh yes, we always visit the house :) And the new garden design is - well, new.
The snickerdoodles are as good as ever.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 03:15:08 AM »
You may be right @Deafoldbat I like marmite and Kaffe Fassett. That said, sometimes things that you're enthusiastic about don't always hit the spot for you every time. No plans to get over to Bath (we visited last year) so I won't be arguing either way.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.