The Sewing Place

summery pants - but see through fabric ??

aprilla

summery pants - but see through fabric ??
« on: May 25, 2019, 11:16:45 AM »
I was looking at my fabrics and there's one I thought I'd like for a wide leg, summery pant. It's black and has a white border pattern... and then I noticed it's see through  :o
Full stop.
But I still like the idea ... I don't particularly want to line them (and don't have anything I could use for lining) so if I used iron on interfacing, how would that work I wonder? Could that help? I've got plenty of that :)

I'd have to commit to doing a lot just to test but probably just doing it and finding out is the only real way I'll know for sure. But I thought maybe someone else has tried it and knows?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:22:09 AM by aprilla »

Efemera

Re: summery pants - but see through fabric ??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
You could half-line them, to the knee, with cotton lawn. Years ago I had a white pair from M&S which had a half-lining, it was a good solution.

Don't use interfacing though.

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 12:24:00 PM »
+1 to not interfacing them; unless you use something super fine, it will alter the hang of the fabric and it won't be very nice against the skin on warm days.  Another +1 for either lining or petipants - if you make them in pale beige (assuming you are caucasian), they won't show up as white will.  If you make white trousers/skirts that need lining, beige works better for invisibility than white does.

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 12:36:51 PM »
Yep, I agree with @dolcevita , you can either line them to the knee as @SkoutSews  says or make a very lightweight pair of 'pettipants' which will go under any other trousers as well.  You could use something like a lightweight knit lining if you don't fancy lawn which might stick to the outer fabric.  Again, you could just do them to the knee as long as you can't see the hemline underneath (but that's just me being picky). xx

aprilla

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:52:50 PM »
Though I think I sortof knew what the thoughts would be I was so hoping for - yes!! - to interfacing  :P

Caucasian, yes.
It's only really see through where the wide pants are 'skirt' like, not where it's close to the body. It's not expensive fabric, and not something I wanted the expense of buying lining or sewing lining for (there'll be a learning curve), but I've added a light beige lawn to an order I'm gathering. I'm not yet 100% committed to this project so I figured if I don't use it for this I'll have it to hand for something else. So I thank you all, cheers  :toast:

In the meantime I did test a bit of it with interfacing. I used a black, medium weight interfacing that really interferes badly with the drape, not good (but 100% opaque). And I used a light, white knit interfacing that isn't too bad, it still flows nicely and is a bit more opaque. Still a little bit see through, but possibly acceptable for the type pants... especially when not peering to see through them LOL

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 17:44:55 PM »
Have you not seen what @wrenkins is making? See-thru is the in thing  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Kwaaked

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 18:36:37 PM »
Depending on how see thru I'd probably wear them, too.  But on dresses and wide legs I wear French knickers anyway.

If I wanted to line them and the FK would leave a VPL...I'd line them with athletic mesh.

aprilla

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 18:43:46 PM »
Have you not seen what @wrenkins is making? See-thru is the in thing  :)

Oh - thanks for this, it's hysterical!!!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 18:47:35 PM »
@aprilla you're welcome  0_0
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

aprilla

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »
I'm going to 'wear' the fabric a bit today, while it's bright... a wrap type pant might be a solution. I'll play with ideas for a bit. I don't mind a bit see through but, though I might want to be, I'm not quite as brave as @wrenkins  :P

And I'll have to investigate lining. I'm a bit impulsive with sewing - would have had a good portion of these made while DH was watching the match last night - and it would be nice to have all purpose lining stuff to hand when ideas such as these pop up. I can't run to a shop for supplies and have to wait for delivery... and by that time I've often changed my mind LOL

dolcevita

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 11:01:34 AM »

And I'll have to investigate lining. I'm a bit impulsive with sewing - would have had a good portion of these made while DH was watching the match last night - and it would be nice to have all purpose lining stuff to hand when ideas such as these pop up. I can't run to a shop for supplies and have to wait for delivery... and by that time I've often changed my mind LOL

That's what a stash is for.  :D