The Sewing Place

sewingj

« on: April 15, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:40:55 PM by sewingj »

UttaRetch

Re: Storing Patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »
I only have 'big 4' patterns, which I trace off and then refold the tissue so that it goes back in the envelope.  I don't have enough patterns for storage to be a problem, but something like

these (more than likely plastic, though) would be a neat solution. 

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 03:47:20 AM »
I never understand this 'they won't fold up' nonsense  :D
I don't trace, but in any case, cut away the acres of excess paper around the sheets, separating the pieces.  Fold them up, smoothing out as you go, then PRESS with an iron.  Done.  I've been using standard patterns for years, and they always go back in.
The awkward ones are the PDFs as all that printer paper [and sellotape or glue] can make an unholy mess.  I use plastic document wallets for those, ordinary ones for putting in folders.  Works well enough.  I have a small filing cabinet [2 drawers] jammed full, plus the 'work in progress' drawer in my sewing room, and a few shoeboxes of 'not likely to be revisited'or 'old patterns for kids'
Recently, I bit the bullet and made a spreadsheet list of ALL of them, with marks for ones I'd made up.  All sorted by pattern company.  It helped me see what I really have, where there are duplicates, and what NOT to buy again!
Very informative.
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »
Mine are all stuffed in a drawer which is now too full and I don't know where else to put them :(

I do trace though, and I get PDF's printed on big paper which I roll up and shove down the side of a cabinet (see very organised here).

Recently I've started hanging patterns I use often on bulldog clips. I do that for all patterns while I'm working on them, and then put away the ones I'm not likely to revisit any time soon. But the ones I love (the TNT's) stay hung all the time so they're easy to grab.

Alexp

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »
I trace patterns, so fold the original back into the pack and store along with tracings in 30cm resealable freezer bags. I can see the pattern envelope easily and write on the outer bag the date and fabrics i have used for easy recall. This is also handy for self drafted patterns where obviously there is no picture!

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:50:05 AM »
Mine get folded up and put back in the envelope.  Then they're all stored in a big cardboard box with a lid, which was originally the box from a Christmas gift hamper.  The only patterns I trace are Ottobre magazine patterns.  They go into an A4 envelope, with my 'making notes' written on the front.  The envelopes go into the box too.

I don't have a problem getting the used tissue patterns back into the envelope. Take your time, smooth out the pieces and fold appropriately.

PDF patterns are horrible things.  I avoid them altogether.  Life's too short for all the printing, piecing, sellotaping, cursing and papercuts. 

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:54:08 AM »
PDF patterns are horrible things.  I avoid them altogether.  Life's too short for all the printing, piecing, sellotaping, cursing and papercuts.

That's why I often get them printed out now :D But I don't find the sticking too tough, as it's something I can do in front of the TV!

The key is to use good tape, not sellotape. I use picture framing tape which is easy to write on, really sticky, but can also be peeled off if you don't get it quite right first stick.

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »
I don't have enough patterns to need a system or a spreadsheet as I can just flip through them in the large box I keep them in. Once I've cut the patterns I'll put them in a clear plastic wallet with the pattern envelope (sometimes I might out them back in the envelope but it's laziness that usually stops me from doing that! Plus I'm a bit slapdash so the end up a bit screwed up if I try and put them back!)

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 11:38:37 AM »
I don't have enough patterns to need a system or a spreadsheet as I can just flip through them in the large box I keep them in.

:devil: :devil: :devil:
Time will tell my dear, time will tell!
C'est moi!

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »
:devil: :devil: :devil:
Time will tell my dear, time will tell!

:DI perhaps should have written 'I don't have enough patterns YET...'!

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »
Mine are in a large plastic box - which has overflowed into a shoe box sitting on top of them.

I only trace if I'm going to be doing something that will more or less destroy the original, so most of the time what goes back into the envelope is cut out pieces  with the usual fitting alterations to suit me.  It always does all go back in, just not as neatly.

I'm another one who can't be doing with .pdf patterns.  What you might save on sales price is eaten up with paper, ink, sticky tape, time and storage space!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »
I use boxes for standard patterns, but pdf's are a pain.  I'm rolling them up atm, and storing them in large boxes from The Works. 

I've noticed that Peggy Sagers from Silhouette Patterns is selling the tags for hanging patterns.  Unfortunately, I have nowhere to hang them from!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lyn-J

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 13:12:47 PM »
I've only used one pdf and I pinned it together (perhaps I shouldn't) then traced it off. I only did as much pinning as necessary to get each piece, not the whole sheet. I'm keeping the sheets in a cardboard wallet. Most of my tissue patterns go back in the envelope. I fold the pieces with the numbers on the outside. Those that won't (delicate envelope or 30+ pieces) I put in a clear freezer bag.
I have 4 ikea-dronas-sized boxes for "everyday" patterns, 2 plastic crates for "reference" pattern and 2 big cardboard boxes for "won't-use-but-can't-be-parted-with" patterns in the loft.
When I was a youngster, we used to throw patterns away when we had finished with them - Strange!

Lyn-J

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 13:16:29 PM »
b15erk
I just saw atm on you post.
Automatic Teller Machine for patterns - now there's an idea!

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 13:19:24 PM »
b15erk
I just saw atm on you post.
Automatic Teller Machine for patterns - now there's an idea!

All too much
Appalling tissue mess
Antique toile makers
C'est moi!