The Sewing Place

Sewing chair

snoozi soozi

Sewing chair
« on: May 25, 2019, 18:45:43 PM »
OH is feeling flush - and generous  :o - on the back of his redundancy payout and has offered to treat me to a li'l something for my sewing sanctuary. Having had a good ol think I've decided I could do with a decent chair, at the mo I'm sitting on a wooden dining chair with no cushioning, it's a devil on the buttocks after a long shift.

So, of course, I need guidance.....What do you use?
👓 changing the world, one stitch at a time

Efemera

Re: Sewing chair
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 19:06:16 PM »
I’ve got an old office chair on wheels that swivels....got it from a second hand office furniture place.
I recovered it.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 19:51:29 PM »
I have this: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/desk-chairs/l%C3%A5ngfj%C3%A4ll-conference-chair-gunnared-beige-white-spr-09252296/

I like that it's firm, but shaped comfortably. I also like that it swivels so I have a bit of manouverability but it does not wheel, which I find more comfortable for sewing as I don't feel like I'm going to "wheel away" when I operate the pedal on the machine.

I got mine secondhand, it's always worth looking at IKEA names secondhand because they tend to sell them often that way and also much better than buying new!
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 35.4m
Up/down: -46.95m down

Follow me on Instagram

fajita

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 22:38:06 PM »
Mine is an ikea like Francesca's  but with wheels. Very comfy. No arms to get in the way.

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 23:12:23 PM »
I was given one by an older woman who used it until she upgraded her sewing chair.  Just a basic office on wheels.

I didn't like it...at home I sew on an actual sewing machine chair from the 50s or an old dining chair, until I got the set up at my shop for an industrial overlocker, SS, my saddle treadle, the 99 as a buttonhole machine on an old sewing desk, a Davis treadle and a Janome for the zigzag in a table.  They are set up like an L, (OL, SS, 99, Janome, saddle machine, Davis even feed) and I roll all over the place from sewing machines to ironing board..etc.  Now it's important to have it.

mudcat

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 00:43:50 AM »
I use an office chair.  It swivels, has height adjustment, decent back support and sufficient seat padding for the rare long session. 

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 03:01:48 AM »
I've had the Ikea Flintan for a couple of years at least, it's the best sewing chair I've ever had. I have the arms (bought separately) and find them comfortable but I know many prefer an armless chair for sewing.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 06:59:47 AM »
I've got an ex office chair on wheels that swivels and is height adjustable (useful as I sometimes have my machine flush with the cabinet, sometimes on top).  But, I change it for a static kitchen chair if I am quilting, especially free motion quilting.  Because there is a lot of pushing and shoving a large quilt through the machine I find the chair freewheeling backwards and it is a lot of extra effort to keep it still.  If I were to change the chair I would look for lockable castors.
Life's too short for ironing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 08:18:35 AM »
I had an inkling that an office chair would be a good solution. I like the one that Fran uses, based on it being without wheels, it looks a neat size too.

Thanks everybody  :loveit:
👓 changing the world, one stitch at a time

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 10:54:46 AM »
I've got my old office chair, they had a refurb the year before I retired so I got it for free along with a set of drawers on wheels.  It is comfy but frayed on the front edge as I'm normally up and down all  the time.  I've since put a back rest in but haven't got the back piece of the chair in the right position yet. 

I would really love a Horn chair, in fact I was looking at them recently, but the penny bank has other ideas for spendies in mind at the moment.  It is on my wish list though.

I think the office type are much better  than a standard chair because of the adjustment features and being able to get the exact height you want. Also I sometimes shift from one machine to another at the side so easy to push across.

I would love to be in a position where I could think, I really need that (big things), and get it straight away.
Stash extension 2019 - 23  meters
Daren't put used, too pitiful but I am keeping count

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 16:10:50 PM »
My sewing chair is also an office chair.  It has swivel base, adjustable height and adjustable forward-back tilt.  All valuable features.  The height variation is good because the table I sew at is a gateleg, so it doesn't move vertically.  The forward-back tilt is valuable because I tilt forward when machining, which stops the curved spine thing, and back when I'm hand-sewing so I can see what I'm doing and still be supported. 

Arms are useful to support elbows but only if they are at the right height for you.  If they're single-position and not the right height for you then they're worse than useless and you should avoid them.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 18:21:19 PM »

Arms are useful to support elbows but only if they are at the right height for you.  If they're single-position and not the right height for you then they're worse than useless and you should avoid them.

Totally agree with this.
Stash extension 2019 - 23  meters
Daren't put used, too pitiful but I am keeping count

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 20:55:21 PM »
I'd agree with that too although the arms on my chair aren't adjustable.

I hadn't intended to buy them originally as my most comfortable sewing chair previously was armless but, when I tried it in the store, I found they were at just the right height for me.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...