The Sewing Place

Sewing chair

snoozi soozi

Sewing chair
« on: May 25, 2019, 18:45:43 PM »
OH is feeling flush - and generous  :o - on the back of his redundancy payout and has offered to treat me to a li'l something for my sewing sanctuary. Having had a good ol think I've decided I could do with a decent chair, at the mo I'm sitting on a wooden dining chair with no cushioning, it's a devil on the buttocks after a long shift.

So, of course, I need guidance.....What do you use?
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Efemera

Re: Sewing chair
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 19:06:16 PM »
I’ve got an old office chair on wheels that swivels....got it from a second hand office furniture place.
I recovered it.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 22:38:06 PM »
Mine is an ikea like Francesca's  but with wheels. Very comfy. No arms to get in the way.

Kwaaked

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 23:12:23 PM »
I was given one by an older woman who used it until she upgraded her sewing chair.  Just a basic office on wheels.

I didn't like it...at home I sew on an actual sewing machine chair from the 50s or an old dining chair, until I got the set up at my shop for an industrial overlocker, SS, my saddle treadle, the 99 as a buttonhole machine on an old sewing desk, a Davis treadle and a Janome for the zigzag in a table.  They are set up like an L, (OL, SS, 99, Janome, saddle machine, Davis even feed) and I roll all over the place from sewing machines to ironing board..etc.  Now it's important to have it.

mudcat

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 00:43:50 AM »
I use an office chair.  It swivels, has height adjustment, decent back support and sufficient seat padding for the rare long session. 

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 03:01:48 AM »
I've had the Ikea Flintan for a couple of years at least, it's the best sewing chair I've ever had. I have the arms (bought separately) and find them comfortable but I know many prefer an armless chair for sewing.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 06:59:47 AM »
I've got an ex office chair on wheels that swivels and is height adjustable (useful as I sometimes have my machine flush with the cabinet, sometimes on top).  But, I change it for a static kitchen chair if I am quilting, especially free motion quilting.  Because there is a lot of pushing and shoving a large quilt through the machine I find the chair freewheeling backwards and it is a lot of extra effort to keep it still.  If I were to change the chair I would look for lockable castors.
Life's too short for ironing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 08:18:35 AM »
I had an inkling that an office chair would be a good solution. I like the one that Fran uses, based on it being without wheels, it looks a neat size too.

Thanks everybody  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 10:54:46 AM »
I've got my old office chair, they had a refurb the year before I retired so I got it for free along with a set of drawers on wheels.  It is comfy but frayed on the front edge as I'm normally up and down all  the time.  I've since put a back rest in but haven't got the back piece of the chair in the right position yet. 

I would really love a Horn chair, in fact I was looking at them recently, but the penny bank has other ideas for spendies in mind at the moment.  It is on my wish list though.

I think the office type are much better  than a standard chair because of the adjustment features and being able to get the exact height you want. Also I sometimes shift from one machine to another at the side so easy to push across.

I would love to be in a position where I could think, I really need that (big things), and get it straight away.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 16:10:50 PM »
My sewing chair is also an office chair.  It has swivel base, adjustable height and adjustable forward-back tilt.  All valuable features.  The height variation is good because the table I sew at is a gateleg, so it doesn't move vertically.  The forward-back tilt is valuable because I tilt forward when machining, which stops the curved spine thing, and back when I'm hand-sewing so I can see what I'm doing and still be supported. 

Arms are useful to support elbows but only if they are at the right height for you.  If they're single-position and not the right height for you then they're worse than useless and you should avoid them.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 18:21:19 PM »

Arms are useful to support elbows but only if they are at the right height for you.  If they're single-position and not the right height for you then they're worse than useless and you should avoid them.

Totally agree with this.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 20:55:21 PM »
I'd agree with that too although the arms on my chair aren't adjustable.

I hadn't intended to buy them originally as my most comfortable sewing chair previously was armless but, when I tried it in the store, I found they were at just the right height for me.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.