The Sewing Place

Sun shade fabric

sewmuchmore

Sun shade fabric
« on: May 27, 2019, 09:22:43 AM »
I am looking for some fabric to make a sun shade for a window. I was thinking something like the stuff that the shades for car windows are made of. Has anyone come across any to buy by the metre? The only stuff I can see comes from China and didn't want to go down that route.
Alternatively anyone any ideas what else I can use. It has to provide good shade but you can still see through it.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Morgan

Re: Sun shade fabric
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »
Search on Sun Shade mesh or Sun Shade Netting - most is for external uses, but you may find something that will work for you

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 14:38:28 PM »
Search on Sun Shade mesh or Sun Shade Netting - most is for external uses, but you may find something that will work for you
@Morgan this is what I did but apart from the outdoor stuff, which is too course, the only other fabric is from china and America. I have just seen some sun protection fabric on Active Fabrics so will send for a sample, although it doesn't look as if it Is see through.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sewing Chanel-Style

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 06:22:24 AM »
I just finished a big cover for a beach/garden umbrella. See post: Fun with fabric -> Cover beach umbrella.  I made of canvas heavy material. It is not completly UV but it works good for sunshade. And it is cheaper.  The real sunshade fabrics are very expensive.  You can also combine canvas with a polin cotton attached.  It will work good enough to function as sunshade.

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 11:39:58 AM »
@sewmuchmore have you checked Sunbrella fabrics? They ought to be available in the UK.
https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/fabrics/shade