The Sewing Place

Oops, I did it again!

Snowgoose

Oops, I did it again!
« on: April 15, 2017, 13:16:09 PM »
I have a new vintage lady joining the fold  :). A Wilcox and Gibbs chain stitch   :vintage: 

I can't wait!  She needs a lot of gentle cleaning and her spool pin is missing  :'(  I have looked on Helen Howes page but she doesn't have one.  Please, can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere to find one, or suggest a simple fix?

I know I shouldn't have bought her, but no one else bid on eBay and she looked so lonely and folorn that my finger put in a bid all by itself, honest!!  :devil:  :angel:

No case or instructions, but I will google for a 'how to use' and a pretty cotton cover will protect her modesty   :D

Please tell me she can work again one day?

Lantana

Re: Oops, I did it again!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 16:57:12 PM »
Good for you! I'm sure she'll reward your care and attention. Congratulations! <3

:vintage:

Snowgoose

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 18:16:29 PM »
Thank you  :flower:  I've found a seller on Etsy who has a PDF copy of the manual and the correct needles, and Helen Howes who very kindly answered my email very quickly, says that a thread stand will enable me to use her  :)

I'm so happy, I love felt and now I'll be able to play with pretty chain stitch patterns on felt to make needlecases - I'm easily pleased :D

I'm going to find some pretty cotton fabric and make a little cover, probably slightly padded.  It's sad that she has no case or tools but no matter.

Hopefully, gentle cleaning, tlc and oil will bring her back to life again  :). I would love to know who owned her and what she used to make, if only these old machines could talk  8)

Lantana

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 19:04:48 PM »
Yes it would be great wouldn't it. Mind you if yours thanked you for the cover one day while she and you were alone you might jump out of your skin!

Glad your searching has been rewarded and that you are on the way to having her working. Please post piccies of her cover and the work you do on her. Fun times ahead! Do you make your own felt?  :flower:

L :vintage:

Snowgoose

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 00:47:53 AM »
If my  :vintage: did speak to me one day, I'd be found hiding under the bed!!!  :o

No, I don't make my own felt - yet!  It's on my list of crafts to try this year and I do have a kit packed away somewhere!  I love pure wool felt, it's such a nice feel and weight for small makes.

I will post photos when I finish, it may take a while  8) but I will post them  :flower:

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 11:41:35 AM »
She's lovely, so envious  <3

I wish the old ladies could talk. I have two 28k handcranks, from the beginning of the  20th century. I've often thought of writing a short story of the life of a sewing machine as seen through it's eyes.
Procrastination get behind me

Snowgoose

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 13:42:58 PM »
She's lovely, so envious  <3

I wish the old ladies could talk. I have two 28k handcranks, from the beginning of the  20th century. I've often thought of writing a short story of the life of a sewing machine as seen through it's eyes.

Thank you  :flower:  She was a total impulse purchase, I wasn't looking for a sewing machine at all, I was browsing in a bored moment and there she was  :)

I think no one had noticed her because she was in a totally non-sewing category.  I agonised for the hour left and no one bid so, at the last my finger slipped  ;) and popped in the opening bid - I got her for less than £50  :) I was amazed!!!  It will be baked beans for every meal for a few weeks but I don't mind, I'm just so happy!   8)

Note to self: must, must, must keep away from eBay!!!

I think a story written from the machine's viewpoint would be lovely, I'm sure one of the sewing magazines would be delighted to publish it  :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 13:44:14 PM »
No-one else bid on it?  I must have missed that one  :(

Snowgoose

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 13:45:53 PM »
No-one else bid on it?  I must have missed that one  :(

Nope!  I was the only one  0_0

Lantana

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 17:53:36 PM »
Ah ha I could feel my heart racing as you described those final moments of the auction Snowgoose!! The 'should I or shan't I? Why is no one else bidding? Why am I even thinking about it? .... don't really need it ... but oh I do really want it .... no I won't bid .... I'll just watch it to the end'.

YOU ARE THE WINNER!!!

Have you ever heard the 'Weird Al Yankovich' e-bay song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW9bHDy5khQ

Years ago when I first heard it and when sniping was more precarious than it is now my favourite lines were:-

'I am the type who is liable to snipe you
With two seconds left to go, whoa'

Looking forward to seeing your photos and do give felt making a go. I've done a few beginner pieces it's quite therapeutic.

And Holly Berry ..... I can't wait to read that story so get writing!! :flower:

arrow

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 19:18:31 PM »
This one looks similar to your W&G. With a bit of search you will identify model and find a suitable manual. Here's a picture of one threaded up, randomly found by picture search. The guy with the Sewalot site knows everyting about it. Here's some info on needles. Does these needles look right compared to the one in your machine?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 19:42:46 PM by arrow »

Snowgoose

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 22:31:27 PM »
Ah ha I could feel my heart racing as you described those final moments of the auction Snowgoose!! The 'should I or shan't I? Why is no one else bidding? Why am I even thinking about it? .... don't really need it ... but oh I do really want it .... no I won't bid .... I'll just watch it to the end'.

YOU ARE THE WINNER!!!

Have you ever heard the 'Weird Al Yankovich' e-bay song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW9bHDy5khQ

Years ago when I first heard it and when sniping was more precarious than it is now my favourite lines were:-

'I am the type who is liable to snipe you
With two seconds left to go, whoa'

Looking forward to seeing your photos and do give felt making a go. I've done a few beginner pieces it's quite therapeutic.

And Holly Berry ..... I can't wait to read that story so get writing!! :flower:

That's it!  That's exactly how it was! :D   :D  :D

I hadn't heard the e-Bay song before but I love it, thank you, it made me laugh out loud - some of the things on eBay are unbelievably weird  :o

I will try the felt making - Gillian Gladrags has some gorgeous supplies and kits but the website is difficult to look at, too 'jazzy' for me.  The kit I have came a very long time ago from the Wool Marketing Board!  I'd love to try dyeing wool for felt with natural dyes, too  :) if I ever have the time - too many crafts, not enough time!  8)

Snowgoose

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 22:42:04 PM »
This one looks similar to your W&G. With a bit of search you will identify model and find a suitable manual. Here's a picture of one threaded up, randomly found by picture search. The guy with the Sewalot site knows everyting about it. Here's some info on needles. Does these needles look right compared to the one in your machine?

Hello Arrow, thank you so much, the Sewalot site is amazing.

I will not be able to compare needles until my machine arrives, I only won it yesterday  8) but it's so good to know that needles can be found.

I'm hoping that there's nothing major wrong with my little machine, I'm hoping a gentle clean, tlc and oil will give her a new lease of life  :D

arrow

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 00:09:05 AM »
From the picture you post, I can detect a missing spool pin (if it doesn't come with the machine in a box or something). I think these machines originally came with a lot of accessories like the older Singers. Helen Howes is the well worth contacting any sewing machien this old. I've noticed there is a W&G Yahoo group, and they tend to have found sources and solutions for all common problems. Missing spool pins are very common, and I'm guessing the sort of down ward pointing version needs to be the right kind to work properly.

Best of luck :- )

Snowgoose

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 15:48:30 PM »
Thank you very much, Arrow  :). I'm pacing the floor wishing it would come but I think it will be a day or two yet >:)