The Sewing Place

Presser Feet

b15erk

Presser Feet
« on: June 27, 2019, 10:14:31 AM »
I wondered if any of you know of a resource for identifying presser feet apart from Helen Howes?

I have several feet knocking around, some SM feet, others either O/L/Coverstitch feet, and I'm struggling to identify them.

I used to have an American website bookmarked which not only gave the numbers, but showed videos of them working, but that seems to have disappeared from my radar.

I'm sure other people have the same problem, feet bought in error, or just inherited with a machine.  I just thought if I can't use them, if I knew what they were, I could sell them.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

Re: Presser Feet
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 10:58:33 AM »
Jessie I have a little booklet called Singer A Manual of Family Sewing Machines, and it covers many different machines, this was published in 1963 especially for schools and colleges as at that time they were still using the good old black heavy Singers.  It cost 2/6d.  This goes into great detail on how to thread up the various machines and then there is a huge section on what the various attachments are and how to use them, loads and loads of diagrams and a photos showing how they work - really useful.

So my suggestion is when you have a moment can you photograph these various feet - lay them out and mark them in some way, and I can look them up and let you know what they are.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 11:11:14 AM »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
That's a great site @BrendaP  I have saved it thanks now I can identify all the feet I have gathered over the years!  :ninja:   :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »
I have just this minute discovered that I can do free motion quilting on my Singer 367.
Thank you @BrendaP
I will never want to but it explains what this  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  is and why it came with my new sewing machine (in 1979).
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »
Girls, thank you so much, @BrendaP  that website will be really useful.

I have about half a dozen feet that I'm struggling with though, 3 of them are serger feet, and I think I should do as @Elnnina  says and take some pics.

I will do this as soon as I can.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
@wrenkins , I have one of those!  There are some really weird and wonderful attachments, and although I don't use many of them, I do like to know what they are for. 

OCD moi?  Surely not!  ;)

Jessie 

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »
OCD?
What's that then?
I did not just sit with my little green tin in my hand and the pieces strewn about my laptop listing the names and serial numbers of all the parts therein!
Oh no I didn't!
No siree....not me!?!?!??!  :[  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

aprilla

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »
Sewing Parts Online Presser Foot Tutorials on youtube have some really good demonstrations on various feet. Find what foot you have and then find out what you can do with it, I find it very useful.   ... of course I also find feet I don't have and might just need to get. Oh dear  :D

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »
I have just this minute discovered that I can do free motion quilting on my Singer 367.
Thank you @BrendaP
I will never want to but it explains what this  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  is and why it came with my new sewing machine (in 1979).

@wrenkins that apparently is a raising plate for a 384K.
about half way down the page  https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/gallery_accessories/
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 12:10:57 PM »
It came with my my 367 and apparently is suitable for 3 and 4 series @BrendaP 161894
It'll never be used so moot point really.
Nice to know I also have a tuckmarker and a quilter too. (Also won't be used!).  0_0

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »
But what does a ‘raising plate’ actually do?

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 13:52:15 PM »
 I suspect that it raises the work up out of the way of the feed dogs as there is no option to lower them. (educated guess here!).