The Sewing Place

Needles!

Greybird

Re: Needles!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 23:10:35 PM »
Wasn't there a line in the Donovan song, Mellow Yellow - something like "I'm just wild about saffron and saffron's wild about me"? I was never sure if it was supposed to be someone's name or whether it was reference to something else.

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
Wasn't there a line in the Donovan song, Mellow Yellow - something like "I'm just wild about saffron and saffron's wild about me"? I was never sure if it was supposed to be someone's name or whether it was reference to something else.

I thought that the title referred to smoking banana skins, which were rumoured to be hallogenic.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Esme866

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 11:48:55 AM »
So, I was 8 when that song came out - Mellow Yellow. I can remember singing it at the top of my lungs - a personal favorite. Assumed "Saffron" was a "cool hippie name" for a girl.

According to Wiki, it actually is about an "electrical banana" (as mentioned in the song) otherwise known as - a vibrator! 0_0

Great laugh this morning, ladies! Nothing like catching a joke half a century later!!!

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 14:04:11 PM »
I always had a suspicion that the words referred to something that was outside my experience but didn't want to show my ignorance by asking (don't know who I would have asked anyway!).

Ellabella

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 16:30:54 PM »
So, I was 8 when that song came out - Mellow Yellow. I can remember singing it at the top of my lungs - a personal favorite. Assumed "Saffron" was a "cool hippie name" for a girl.

According to Wiki, it actually is about an "electrical banana" (as mentioned in the song) otherwise known as - a vibrator! 0_0

Great laugh this morning, ladies! Nothing like catching a joke half a century later!!!

Never forget that song as I had jaundice when it was released. Also never realised about eletrical bananas :o

Sometimes information comes just too late in life 0_0

Gernella

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »
Well I was thinking about getting a sharps box but just thought they would be difficult to find, until I looked on Amazon.  I should have known they wouldn't miss an opportunity.

Problem solved, thank you ladies and  gentleman.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Roger

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »
@Roger, are you a hipster???  Do you have a man bun?????   :o

I'm too old for hipstering and no man buns or excessively skinny trousers :o - thats my brother - hes a millennial vegan (who sometimes eats lobster) and totally self focused :) not sure he knows what saffron is tho :) 

I used to be the goth/rock style and had very long hair (donated to charity now)! but I'm not sure that has anything to do with Saffron :) I do like a bit of cooking and get these little square containers of saffron once in a blue moon that contain a pinch and 1/2 for 3 or 4 quid but the  container is perfect for needles one pot will probably contain at my current rate a life times worth of needles!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Kwaaked

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 15:58:00 PM »
In a sharps container, I have to get medical waste to take them (which a small container is $85) or mail program (not too bad, but I don't need a shoebox sized container).  My garbage collection told me to just put them in the trash and can not be in a container and I cannot put a sharps container in the dumpster.

Neither place recycles, though.