The Sewing Place

Just look at this beauty

Elnnina

Just look at this beauty
« on: May 28, 2019, 14:45:17 PM »
I mentioned in one of my other posts the most beautiful Fiddle Base treadle machine and I have found this You tube.
It is called 1888 Singer No.12 Ruffler on VS2 treadle Machine.  Isn't it the most beautiful machine and the lady who owns this is extremely lucky indeed to have this.  Not only is it in superb condition, it really does glow, and both the body of the machine and the treadle base are in excellent condition and as for the little cases of attachments just wow.

Now that is the type of treadle and machine that I would love to own - oh why isn't in this country and why isn't it up for sale???

LeilaMay

Re: Just look at this beauty
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 15:40:44 PM »
It is in very lovely condition :)
You do see similar machines here occasionally - but obviously they command high prices.
That kind of roll-box is mostly a USA thing - but you can import them if you really yearn for one :)

As ever, it is £££ - or in this case $$$ which buy he greatest loveliness.

I restored my own treadle - found by someone else in a garage, and she looks like this now . .
But as I am unable to treadle (bad knees) I put a hand crank Singer 201k in her.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 16:04:15 PM »
This doesn't have the treadle and cabinet but it's a start... 0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 16:07:41 PM »
I could cry when I think that my Mum gave her treadle to the scouts jumble sale :'(

That pic brought back so many memories @LeilaMay   

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 09:52:32 AM »
Oh wrenkins you set my heart beating very fast when I saw the link, and of course possibly within an afternoons outing.  BUT I see the decals were quite worn at the very front, and I didn't like the end plate, but mostly I hated the base and the box and the cover.  I did read all his blurb and what he had done, and there were holes made in the machine that were now hidden by a motor, and whilst he has changed the motor he says he is not an electrician - so I am steering well away from this machine.

I think a lot of the charm of these real old beauties is the wooden bases they come with, and on a fiddle base the way this is set in the wood is quite something.  It does show though that occasionally these Singer fiddle base with roses can be found in this country so I shall keep looking.

Thanks for the link though.

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 10:00:52 AM »
Thanks Leila May, oh you have the type of treadle base that I would love to own.  Perhaps one day, but I know for starters that a treadle will not fit in the boot of our car so that is a major problem.  I can keep on looking though, and as you will have read wrenkins set my heart all of a flutter with a link, but I am being strong, I love the roses but it has to be a nice machine and whilst the one wrenkins found is here in the UK it has been tampered with and it looks horrible on its existing box and with its hideous lid.

I was allowed to use a treadle at school - one of a few people. and then I moved on to electric, and I was also allowed to use the electric one when I sat my GCE exam.  We had two needlework classrooms, and when it was GCE exam time machines from the other classroom were brought in so each girl had her own machine to use, but most of them had hand cranked machines, just one or two electric, and I don't think the treadles were used.  I found treadling away very soothing - there is just something about it.