The Sewing Place

Need help- to resize or not to resize

NatalieSews

Need help- to resize or not to resize
« on: May 30, 2019, 10:12:45 AM »
Right guys, I honestly don't know when to stop with this current quilt.  :snip:

I have a relatively large lap quilt sewn up and ready to baste and quilt, however I'm stuck on:
Whether to double the size and make it again and stitch together
or
Make the quilt sandwich now and gift it.

If I make it large I'm gonna need 3 long quarters of pink, blue, and black and a moda grunge charm pack AND some more batting, but it will look glorious and I really think I will enjoy it a lot more, another option is to add more borders in a round robin however its gonna become square and I like quilts rectangular than square.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WqL7uqcBE2rL75Bd6

Let me know what you think.

Also the edge Right corners, will act as centrestones if made bigger, if I am to keep it how it is, then I will unpick and turn around. Or maybe not.

Who knows.  -<

I am so eager to get started on my next quilt that I really want to start it and this one is sort of getting in the way but I don't want it to be a UFO as the 9squares are blissfully neat.  :D

Sooooo yeah, resize or not to resize that is my question.

And if I resize, what is your opinion on working on two projects at once?

Acorn

Re: Need help- to resize or not to resize
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
I like big quilts - mine always end up bigger than I first intended, and while I may not be happy when doing the quilting, I'm always happier when they're finished.

Your post reads as though you really, really want it to be bigger, but you also really want to have already finished it...  ;)  I can understand that!

If you have a plan for it, go for whatever makes that plan work.

Personally I can only work on two projects at once if they are fundamentally different - ie one's hand sewing for the evenings, the other is machine sewing for the daytime.  I think that depends on you - do you happily work on more than one thing at once?  Nothing wrong with taking a break and coming back to something anyway.

BTW, it's lovely!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

NatalieSews

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 11:18:06 AM »
Thank you @Acorn.

You are very astute because that is exactly how I feel, I want it primarily to be done so I can go onto the next one because I know they are both machine quilting and I will get confused and end up sewing something from the charm pack into my next idea of a mexican inspired quilt.

The fabric is already cut for it I just need to arange it on my design wall, I picked up some brushed flannel off of ebay and am eager to use it arranging my squares.

So this one is starting to get in the way.

I wasn't inspired with this one. It was using up a charm pack and left over bits from a jelly roll so I didn't invest in picking out the fabric and all that good stuff with the current quilt pictured below.

I don't have a plan for it, It was a play that ended up into something substantial, and now if it becomes a small quilt I am not going to enjoy it so much..... but i know others who will.

Plus, if I make it bigger, It will be plain, but if I keep it small I wanted to applique some pretty flowers on the squares and borders.

I honestly don't know what to do.

Fishing for ideas.

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »
I'm getting the impression that you would be happier leaving this quilt small and passing it on to others who will appreciate it. You talk about "not being inspired by this quilt" so I don't know if there is much point you investing much more time and money (for fabric and batting) on it and for you to keep it.

I would keep it small, applique the flowers as planned and then find it a new and appreciative home so you can move on to your next project.

NatalieSews

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »
@StitchinTime see how confused I am.

You both see different things in what I am saying hahaha.

Could it be worth, by passing it to the desired project and revisiting once I have finished the 3rd one. Which I know I will enjoy.

It's all i can think about at minute, is the Mexican inspired quilt.
And bench this one.

Then when I comeback to it, I will have a new fondness (hopefully) because my Mexican urges will be out of the way. If I don't love it, i keep it small and gift, and if I love it, I invest.

It's like trying an old boyfriend again when you've had a fling with a latino lover hahaha

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 11:55:38 AM »
If you think you would prefer this quilt to be bigger, lay it aside for a while.  When you come back to it, you may decide that you are happy with it at its present size or be convinced that it would be better bigger. 

I don't have a problem with working on two or five quilts at a time.  Today I am hand quilting my log cabin and joining the strips for my curved bargello. 

Missie

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »
I guess the ultimate question is are you keeping it or gifting it?  If it is to be gifted, just finish it and pass it on.  If it is a keeper, then make it bigger as it will bug you if you don't.

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 13:53:32 PM »
Another opinion ....... if it was mine, I would finish it as it is, and pass it on. I would have new ideas just waiting to burst out of my head, so I'd need to finish the lap quilt before starting a new one. I also agree with working on several projects at a time  .....  but only if they're completely different, ie a quilt plus dressmaking plus hand sewing. Don't know whether this will help or confuse you even more. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath