The Sewing Place

Dyeing silk dupion?

Sewbusy

Dyeing silk dupion?
« on: May 31, 2019, 18:31:58 PM »
I have read up on doing this and it seems to be relatively easy to do. I wondered if anyone had personal experience of doing this and how successful the process was.

The fabric is beaded and embroidered dupion, a very delicate shell pink, the embroidery and beading are a somewhat deeper pink.

I feel that a slightly deeper colour would possibly make the fabric more useable.

Any thoughts will be helpful.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

elisep

Re: Dyeing silk dupion?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 14:20:42 PM »
My only experience with dyeing silk was a raw silk I attempted to dye green. It turned out pastel green and very stiff! I only used a washing machine dye though. I believe you get better results from dyeing in a pot.

My only thoughts would be, that it is likely that the embroidery is polyester thread, which won't dye with the same dyes that work on silk. It might give a nice effect, or might not be what you're aiming for!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Kate S

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 16:31:15 PM »
I have dyed silk fabric, yarn & fiber, but not dupioni.

I agree with the concern about the thread being a different fiber.  I'd also be concerned about the beads.

You are going to have to wash your fabric before you dye it so the dye takes evenly.  That will change the hand of the fabric a lot.  Silk can be dyed with acid dyes or fiber reactive dyes.  If the thread is rayon, fiber reactive dyes will dye both the silk & the thread.  If it's polyester it might stain a bit, but not be dyed.  For dyeing silk I prefer acid dyes.

If you decide to proceed, cut a small piece of the fabric & test it using the process you will use for the final fabric.  The amount of dye it takes to get the color you want varies with the amount of fabric. 

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 18:43:49 PM »
Thank you for the replies and excellent information. I am having a rethink on the whole thing! I have three metres of this fabric and because of the beading particularly, I don't think it lends itself to any largish items of clothing, more perhaps for front bodice panels or some other embellished areas. I initially purchased it to use for tutu front bodice panels but tutu's are a no-no with my hands.

I have tried to find a matching shell pink dupion to no avail, and I don't feel that teaming it with a darker shade will work. The other way round would be better, smaller area of darker embellished fabric and main bodice parts in paler plain.

Embroidered and beaded evening bags? Oh forgot I don't do bags.