The Sewing Place

Jersey fabric

Farrener

Jersey fabric
« on: June 02, 2019, 14:02:52 PM »
I'm looking for some jersey fabric to make a smart top. I would like it to have a good drape and nice finish, not too t-shirty.

The top also needs two different colours, so I need to find something that comes in a good range of colours so that I can choose two that look good together.

Can anyone advise me

1. What type of fabric should I look for

2. Are there any online suppliers that would have a good range of colours that I could get samples from. There are not many good fabric shops near me, and I could possibly get to London, but would prefer to buy online.

Thank you.

Efemera

Re: Jersey fabric
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 14:12:52 PM »
Try Minerva Crafts or Fabworks.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 14:42:22 PM »
I have had absolutely lovely jersey from Fabworks, but it is cotton, and definitely not drape-y.  Viscose jersey has great drape, although it does also tend to cling, which may or may not be a good thing depending on you and your pattern!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 08:04:56 AM »
Girl Charlee UK has nice  "cotton jersey blend" prints which tend to be a mixture of cotton, viscose, Lycra, sometimes poly. They vary somewhat in feel and texture but are usually quite "drapy" and make nice tops and you can request samples.

Farrener

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 10:36:36 AM »
Thanks very much, I think Vicose jersey is what I'm looking for and Minerva Crafts has one with loads of colours, but at the moment they are mostly out of stock.