The Sewing Place

Fads in Fabric

Catllar

Fads in Fabric
« on: May 01, 2019, 20:07:26 PM »
Funny how things go - last year all the  :frock: :frock: were 60's prints and denim. This year I've got 3 groups who want - wait for it -  stretch velvet - bleurgh.

One set is black - oh yes, black stretch velvet  - one set is royal blue and the last velvet set is ribbed bordeaux velvet and chiffon.

Bloody fluff is everywhere. I"ll have to change my ironing board cover, never get it clean and de-fluffed and the floor is now resembling a large bruise with all the colours mixing together!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

Re: Fads in Fabric
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 18:12:37 PM »
Note to self: Remember to check pile - cut 3  royal blues out the wrong way  :angry:- I know it shouldn't matter, but it so does, so I've cut em out again. Lovely for once to have the luxury of extra fabric!

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 22:30:08 PM »
Even your snot will be coloured when you blow your nose  :S
Was Sewnanny

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »
Glad to hear it's not just me suffering the stretch velvet Cat.  Mine is crushed too... :S Lined with stretch gold... :S

At least I only make in singles!!  ;)

How many this time?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 22:57:03 PM »
Black 13, bordeaux 11, blue 9.

The blue is done - almost .Wednesday I see them for final fitting - the tops are asymmetric one shoulder.

The blacks are coming along - oh but the fluff .....- and the bordeaux is starting at me from under the cutting table.

Thank you for that lovely image, Lollipop!

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 20:01:31 PM »
Oops sorry, I spend too much time with 4 and 5 year olds   :|

Our dance teacher's current fad is polka dots and 50's style high waist pants. I'm starting to get a bit bored with them.
Was Sewnanny

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 22:00:21 PM »
So the black  and the blues are done and I started on the bordeaux today. Forgot to add that this beauty is not only velvet and stretch but it's also finely ribbed - Oh aren't I the lucky one.  Had a fitting session yesterday and I'm afraid I totally lost it and threw a huge hissy fit : what with the children being excited about their blue twirly frocks, mothers fussing about and each one demanding my undivided attention ( god forgive me, but " Jan, what's this? er  " it's a hook and eye" " What's it for?"   and " where does the zipper go?: and  "which way is the back?"  That'd be the side with the child's name label in it. grrrrrrrr :S :S :S :S :S  multiplied by 25!

Kwaaked

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 03:27:33 AM »
LOL @Catllar

Kids don't bother me, surprisingly as grumpy as I tend to look, which is why I think I wind up with a lot of them.  When I have had several for the final try on, I get as loud as they do and explain it all.  I let them move, tell them not to knock over the flowers and mind the table.  I can also whistle loud, and can hail a taxi in NYC with it.  And I am not afraid to use it...I can't yell anyway, so whistling at my own kids is easier then losing my voice.

But I have my own who does it, and the 8 year old is a lot better.  (Thank you, try the veal.)

Usually, I l give general instructions: "Check to make sure the name tag matches your child, put zipper to the side, tag goes in back, the hook and eye will close the top part like a wire button and make sure it pulls tight where you'll feel like a click.  When you get it on, I got to see what you look like and make sure you are perfect!  So give me a few to take you all in before we get to work, ok!  *clap, enthuse*".  Then I wait, there is always one or 6 that needs help getting it on, and I go handle that.  And then I work from a list, a couple minutes of showing off, and I call one kid off the clipboard, and go on.  Kid and mom come, get kid on the platform and in front of the mirror, talk to them, answer while I do whatever or explain what I am doing, tell them to stop for a second while I do XYZ and then thank them, tell the child they were wonderful!  What a good job of standing still (and they don't, I mean, like ever). 

I personally have found that in a group by streamlining some of it and making it a routine for the others, moms leave me alone to do my job.  But I don't make them stand still the whole time, just for seconds at a time if I can't catch them still enouhg  between moving and admiring themselves.  But I have to do that with the adults, too!  And making it seem like old hat, under control, same old, same old...it keeps the moms at bay, too.

Boys don't want to be there, girls want to do it all...

And I don't even LIKE kids.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 09:13:51 AM »
I was taught how to do the 'taxi hail' whistle in my teens and to this day I use it and it is easily one of the most useful skills EVER!
Good luck herding the cats children ladies!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 18:43:22 PM »
I was garotted when I was 11, so I can't yell long.  And if I do, I lose my voice for a few days (and I am prone to it happening when I am not yelling).  Once a year I do a function with the kids and yell...I'm a pirate and we get noisy.  I usually can't talk after 2 days of that for a week.

I just came home from the store where my 8 year old went a little wild...not rude but walking off farther then I wanted her to, or around a corner where I couldn't see her.  I got tired of telling her to come back to I whistled.  In true form, she leans around the corner and says sweetly "You called, Mommy?"

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 23:17:22 PM »
Back in England I had a dance school with 200 kids from age 2 up. I did wardrobe there too. Never had a problem organising/ herding them into costume. The difference here is that these are French and don't have the same ideas! Children are king here, and ways that worked in the UK don't work here. I'm a grump but, like you, the kids seem to be attracted to me - I just can't stand noise anymore! From the parents there is this sense of entitlement and that really hacks me off, considering they don't play anything towards the costumes. :o

Kwaaked

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 02:17:46 AM »
No, I do get it.  We're like that here in the US.  I love my kid, but she's a spoilt troll at times.  And that's my fault.