The Sewing Place

Best laid plans

Catllar

Best laid plans
« on: June 02, 2019, 17:19:27 PM »
SO I need to make 9 cummberbund type belts with back fastening, repurposing some old embroidered shawls. First fussy cut off the embroidery sections to end up with something  that is about 18-20 kms deep at the front tapering off to 10 at the back waist.  Then attach embroidered bits to a black base fabric using this wonderful powder stuff I found on the interwobble. Great because it's permanent fix and no sewing needed to fix the bits on. Result .  Next - fastening - Plan 1) grommets and laces. purchased grommet fixing kit and grommets and did a sample. Total nightmare - couldn't get the spike things flat and that won't do. Second tiny problem, laces take a time to thread and fasten and there isn't time in the  programme. Back to drawing board.  Plan 2) Loops and buttons . Looping  too stiff and  fiddly to apply. Short temper now. ( don't forget I'm trying to do this with no budget)  Plan 3) Corset fasteners hook and eyes on tape. Can't find here so order from Amazing - time is getting on now . Friend says she will be in Perpignan and can perhaps find some quicker in the one and only haberdashery shop. Yes they have it but they want £18 per yard! Really?? I don't think so. The envelope arrives on Friday and open with excitement to find they've sent me elastic with button holes in it. I wasn't pleased.  Finally had to resort to Velcro - yuk -  only had stick on stuff in my box so had to go to bloody Perpignan anyway and all they had was 6cm wide, but it can be cut of course. Have done them now . The velcro is heavy looking but no more time, needed this week. If there is ONE criticism, just ONE I won't be responsible for my actions!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

fajita

Re: Best laid plans
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 05:45:53 AM »
Sounds stressful, but, as ever, @Catllar wins the day.  :toast:

P.s.  18/20 kms deep? That's some undertaking!  0_0

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 08:59:01 AM »
Sounds like a 'never again' moment Cat!

I made a cummerbund for Theo (Ringmaster costume), and I had to us Velcro for fastening and it's horrid.  Still it does the job - just don't put it in the washing machine or it will pluck everything in there!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »
Sounds stressful, but, as ever, @Catllar wins the day.  :toast:

P.s.  18/20 kms deep? That's some undertaking!  0_0

When you put them on skinny birds they look great and they add a real flamenco touch - did I mention they have fringing repurposed from the original shawls inserted into the lower edge to give some movement?

Sewbusy

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 18:55:23 PM »
@Catllar If you're tempted against make similar, I have a fair few metres of Double Hook and Eye Tape, the plush back type. Unfortunately colour is Hobson's Choice, White, White or White.

You are welcome to have some for cost postage  if it is of use.

Pat

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 20:42:12 PM »
Thanks for th offer - but I'm NEVER EVER making this sort of stuff again!!!!!  Did you use it for tutus?

Sewbusy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 21:13:45 PM »
@Catllar Only for one tutu, then I bought individual hooks and bars, which are far more suitable  for tutu fastenings.

I had such grandiose dreams and bought in bulk.... then Mother Nature decided to remind me in a few unkind and unexpected ways that I am getting older and she curtailed my sewing habits and many other things I loved to do, hence I have an abundance of various items, fabrics, trims, stiff net etc.

I am much improved but will never be able to do some of the things I did so readily sewing wise, but at least I am doing  some sewing, albeit at a slow pace. 

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 02:40:22 AM »
Oh Catllar, that sounds like too much trouble.  But considering that I haven't heard anything on the news about a French seamstress snapping and restraining a dance group with velcro, I'm presuming that all went well.  That undertaking deserves drinks and dessert.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 00:00:57 AM »
LOL Mitch, no, so far so good. There is one of them having trouble with the concept of keeping the velcro closed to avoid the fringing snagging on the hooks though. She'll work it out, I'm sure. We wore them on Saturday ( with the rest of the outfit) and they look good, if I do say so myself.