The Sewing Place

McCalls 7922

charlotte

McCalls 7922
« on: June 03, 2019, 15:13:43 PM »

So I have managed to get hold of this pattern sooner than expected, which is very exciting. I am making View C in a cheap grey and white striped seersucker.

The plan was to make it up in a size 12 following the pattern and instructions as printed, but I quickly decided that it would be better to do it 'properly'.

Firstly, there is way more ease in the pattern than the sample the model is wearing on the packet. Either she is in a smaller size or (I suspect more likely) it is clipped at the back to give her more definition at the waist. So even though I am technically a 10-14-12, I traced off a 6 and graded out to a 10 at the hips. The pattern also clearly states that there is no provision for above-waist length adjustment, but I went for it anyway, sacrificing some of the generous circumference from the short kimono sleeves in order to shorten it. I might have been better just taking up the shoulder seams, as it is a bit low-cut, but never mind. I may need to add a modesty panel.

I had a lot of trouble with the front band, because I had a bit of a brain fart over how it was going to end up and had to cut it again when the stripes didn't match... and then I still managed to match the stripes to the wrong side of the front and had to rip it out again mid-construction!  :\

I also had issues with seam finishing around the front twist. What I should have done is overlock all the edges around this bit before I started, so that is a lesson if I make it again.

Anyway, now that the front is all sorted, I have pin fitted and shaved a bit off the centre back seam at the back neck, where it was a bit gape-y so I just need to put the zip in, add some in-seam pockets and finish it off. Should hopefully finish this week, so pictures to follow soon!

charlotte

Re: McCalls 7922
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
Pictures as promised. Sorry they are not great quality!

Really pleased with how it turned out given the minimal fitting and tweaking.

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 09:20:43 AM »
Looks great and I really like that fabric. :)
Annie

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »
So you should be pleased with it - it looks lovely.

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 09:36:36 AM »
I like your dress and your choice of fabric.  It must have been a challenge to get the twist detailing right, what with the alterations and the stripes to contend with!  Success, now you have a lovely dress for the warm weather.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »
Very nice... are you going to enter it into the Fun with Stripes contest?

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
Very nice... are you going to enter it into the Fun with Stripes contest?

Oooh I could! I had forgotten about that one, but I started tracing off my pattern on Saturday so I am within the date confines. I might try to get some better pictures - hopefully there'll be one sunny weekend between now and the end of the month! :)

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »
That looks lovely on you.  I have had a look at the pattern in the past but doubt I would look as good as you in it.  I really like that  twisty bit.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

charlotte

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »
That looks lovely on you.  I have had a look at the pattern in the past but doubt I would look as good as you in it.  I really like that  twisty bit.

Thanks! I think the twist front is pretty flattering on most figures - give it a go!

Nevis5

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 15:20:02 PM »
It looks great, @charlotte  !  I like the pattern but it would look truly terrible on me :(  I have a vast, low bust and no waist.  The twist would disappear under the b**bs  0_0  but it looks wonderful on you  :loveit: