The Sewing Place

Helping a beginner: tutorial recommendations

AnneFrances

Helping a beginner: tutorial recommendations
« on: June 05, 2019, 17:10:09 PM »
I hope this is the right thread for this query, but I should be grateful for advice. I may be  helping an absolute beginner to start to sew.  She will have access to a machine (probably a solid vintage one) and basic kit and fabric, but otherwise she has no money, so paid-for classes are not currently an option, and her English is currently very limited. It would actually be good for her to watch on-line tutorials on youtube, but best if the speech were in British English. So does anyone have recommendations for reliable free video tutorials on the basics, preferably by someone with some experience? I can get this lady going (I've been sewing for more decades than I like to count, have taught daughters and have begun to teach granddaughters) but tutorials for backup between meetings would really be helpful. I'd be so grateful for any suggestions.

Iminei

Re: Helping a beginner: tutorial recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 17:45:00 PM »
Craftsy have free classes for most things ...
I only dabble in the Darkside so dont know what they are but they should be easy to find.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 18:11:46 PM »
If she's into garment sewing I find madetosew on YouTube very clear. She's obviously very knowledgeable and good at explaining things.

Professor Pincushion has a ginormous backlog of videos. They're all quite good and I find her easy to understand but she is American.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 19:29:32 PM »
I'd recommend madetosew as well. She covers everything in great detail and speaks very clearly too

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »
One of my favourites is Peggy Sagers of Silhouette Patterns.  She has an amazing back catalogue, all available through YouTube.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

AnneFrances

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 10:12:29 AM »
Thank you all so much. I'm going to check all of these out. Some I knew about - but hadn't thought of in this context - others I don't know. So I'm most grateful for your help.