The Sewing Place

Pfaff 1229

Lachica

Pfaff 1229
« on: June 06, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »
For sale - bought to stitch thick pvc panels into a thick canvas boat cover because I didn't want to risk my Pfaff Creative. I liked it so kept it to take to sewing club etc - except I don't. It's time for it to work for someone else. It has all the original feet, works well but I have no idea how much to ask. Can anyone suggest a sensible price please?   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

annieeg

Re: Pfaff 1229
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
@Lachica
I confess to being a PFAFF obsessive and follow their prices on ebay.
There is a similar machine on ebay for £324 (I think) but its been there a while and hasn't sold so I'm guessing its a bit pricey.
I don't know what you paid.
Value may be affected by whether its recently been serviced.
Equally goods sold directly won't have any commissions to pay to 3rd parties (unlike ebay) so you can price yours more keenly.
Others on the forum may have knowledge/advice on what price to ask for.
If its any guide, I just sold my Innovis for £90 and full price they are £339. 
When you come up with a price - can you let me know please?
Many thanks.
Annie

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:45:49 AM »
Well it does get 5* reviews:

"Very nice

This Machine is a vintage Machine. I'm guessing that it was produced in the late 70S early 80S. It is sort of a Hybrid. Computer/Mechanical I was Lucky with the first one that i Purchased ( i own several ) it came with the instruction book as well as most of the accessories that were included when the Machine was new. This Machine has a Thread holder that accepts Cones as well as Spools. It's a little bit strange because it swivels. It's placed in front for stowage and to use the Machine it's placed in the rear. The Threading is also a little bit different. You start in the back and move forward. Ending with the automatic Needle threader. It works really well. Also they vary in price quite a bit. This week I've seen them for sale between 89$ and 899$. It has indicators for top Feed, low Bobbin, Bobbin Winder. Stitch selection is a combination of Push Button and Dial. Mine came with a list of Monograms but i haven't figured out how to use this feature. The top Speed can be set which i really like. This is a very Smooth and well Built piece of Machinery. It's pretty heavy. OH and the Accessory Storage also swings and opens into two Compartments. You may be lucky to find one that doesn't have any of the Swinging Plastic Parts broken. The Machine itself is Metal. And the IDT is great. Very happy therefore highly recommended."

I must admit I have never seen one before  so must be pretty special.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 15:47:09 PM »
Thanks for that @Gernella. Yes, it sews really smoothly, purrs like my new Pfaff. The IDT is the same. The needle threader works every time. The thread path is unusual but easy. The bobbin empty light is handy, I didn't know old machines had this.

@annieeg £324 sounds a bit high, I think that's  similar to a basic new decent machine. I'm thinking of asking £150. It would be a good buy for somone new to sewing.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 16:50:24 PM »
@lizardeatspaper was looking for a good starter machine.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!