The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

Ivydene

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2019, 14:22:06 PM »
Aaaaaah. This has been such an informative thread. OH keeps suggesting that he should buy me an overlocker. I keep saying no as I have 3 sewing machines and not a lot of time to use them.... but from reading this thread I want one.  Acorn enjoy your new toy and I look forward to reading more about how you are getting on.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2019, 15:07:41 PM »
They are dead simple really aren't they?  0_0

And take note of the comment about pins - I managed to cut a few in half when I first had an overlocker, although it seems to have done it no harm at all  :[

Nevis5

« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2019, 19:25:32 PM »
Hmm.  Well you were very lucky, @Bodgeitandscarper  !  First (and only) time I hit a pin with the overlocker the lower blade exploded.   Quite scary really - I'd only had the machine a short time and was still learning.  Luckily just replacing the blade mended it, no trawling around looking for mechanics needed but I'm very, very careful about pins and blades now.  (and yes, I do have a similar cautionary tale about sewing machines and pins, I must either be very careless or very unlucky) x

aprilla

« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2019, 19:34:55 PM »
Wow Bodgeitandscarper, that's so fortunate. The same happened to me as Nevis5, and I thought I was being careful with pins by removing them in plenty of time. But there was one underneath that I didn't notice so it got 'serged' and the knife broke. After the fact I can say it was a good learning curve but having only played with it for a day or two (and we got on good from the first try) it was terrible to wait 10 days for the replacement. Replacing was not difficult though, and I got a spare I hope I'll never need  ;)

Acorn

« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2019, 19:46:13 PM »
OK, scare factor has just gone back up a bit...  :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2019, 19:51:38 PM »
I've chopped the point off a few pins with mine & it's still fine. Ive probably jinxed it now. I do try to remove pins in time.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2019, 19:53:55 PM »
I really must get mine out and have another go.  I bought some striped jersey to make myself some boat neck tops but didn't get as far as the cutting out stage let alone overlocking.

Mine is definitely a he.  No name yet.  But I don't tend to give things names, just sexes.  Apart from Wilbur the Wok who came with me to uni (and off with my brother when he went, then back to me when he came home and I bought my first house, still going strong 30 years later).
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

wrenkins

« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2019, 19:55:04 PM »
I used pins for the first time today and hit one!  :o
Don't care...I've fallen out with it anyway because it's making a terrible mess of my stuff.
Who said operator error?!?!?!  :S
Belt up down the back!   :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Elnnina

« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2019, 20:58:05 PM »
Wrenkins what sort of mess is your overlocker making?  Is it the thread or when the blade is cutting is it leaving a mess that the overlocking doesn't cover?

The lower blade can get blunt and will need changing and sometimes the manufacturers include a spare blade in the pack with all the bits and bobs that comes with a new machine, i.e. net covers for cones, tweezers, screw drivers etc.

So back to your problem, if necessary re thread properly the overlocker and if you can use different colours so you can see what they are doing, and then compare your stitching with that in your manual and hopefully you will see if one of the colours is out of line, i.e. not stitching properly.

When a thread breaks, often we think the quickest and easiest way is just to rethread that particular thread, and unfortunately that is not the case, you should really unthread everything and start threading with the upper looper, then the lower looper and then the needle/needles - that way they are laying in the right place particularly up near the blades.  Also where the thread goes through the tension discs, if you put one hand behind and one hand in front of the tension discs give the thread a little tug and this should settle the thread in the discs properly.  Make sure that the spools of thread are flowing off the pins at the back and up through the rod  that holds the feed.  If thread is falling off the spool use the nets supplied to stop this.   Also in the pack of accessories you have there should be some little flatish spool caps so try using these as it makes the thread coming off the spool feed properly.  Also without thread in the tension discs take a piece of dental floss and work between the discs - it is surprising just how much dust and muck can get in there and the floss should help clean this out.  Also clean the dust and debris away from the blades and all around and oil regularly especially where it indicates this on your manual.  When you think about it the machine runs so very fast it needs to be kept clear of fluff and debris and it needs oiling.

If none of the above help then it is possible that the lower blade is the problem and yes they can become blunt - it all depends on just how much the machine has been used and exactly what fabric it has been cutting.

I hope that by following the above you can identify what is wrong, fingers crossed that you haven't done some damage by hitting that pin,  also listen to the machine and see if it is sounding different - part of the pin could have dropped down into the mechanism and then I am afraid it is off to the repair place.

Now back to Acorn, I really didn't mean to scare you about pins, it was seeing a pin in your work that made me post about the damage pins can cause and as others have said they have hit a pin some have got away with it and others haven't.  As you are such a newbie to  an overlocker there is time for you to start with good habits.  Don't be put off though.

wrenkins

« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2019, 21:08:24 PM »
Thankfully @Elnnina the pin didn't break and I was able to pull it out. I'm obviously doing something dopey. It was all bunching up and sewing on top of itself. I really need to sit down with the manual and stop irritating myself. There is a strong possibility that I forgot to put the presser foot down but I can't be sure. (I'm afraid I'm not long on patience  :( ).
The fabric I was using is quite thin so I'll have to check my tension properly.
(whispers...I don't even know what the things on the side do it's so long since I read the book.  :| ). Big stitches, wee stitches, big gaps, wee gaps....blah blah blah!  0_0
I have ordered some really nice fabric and I don't want to make a mess of it so I'll be a good girl and do some studying.  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2019, 21:25:07 PM »
I can tell you that leaving the presser foot up does have exactly that effect! 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2019, 21:44:17 PM »
0_0  0_0  0_0

annieeg

« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
I've been overlocking for years and I continue to fall in and out of love with it!
It works fine - then goes wrong (my operator error!) - then I push it away in disgust and it lies idle for a long time until I get up the energy to try it again.
I usually talk to it, negotiate with it, ask it to behave and cooperate, and then try again...
The second-to-last time I tried to use it I dropped it!!! and had to test/check it all over to see if it was ok, but it seemed to have survived.
The last time I used it, I stitched over a pin and broke the blade!! >< :o
Have now replaced the blade and will re-read the manual (yet again).   
I am truly intimidated by the overlocker! :ninja:

Greybird

« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
I would like to know who is the patron saint of overlockers. I need to know that I am praying to the right entity, every time I sit down at it, that I am not going to have to re-thread it this time.

wrenkins

« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
Probably won't go far wrong with St Clare @Greybird. She's needlework isn't she? I'll just have to negotiate some patience with her.  :S
I don't know if intimidated is the right word @annieeg but it certainly makes me stop and think. My interactions tend to start with..'right, come on now' but I'm not sure if that's geeing myself up or warning my OL not to start any nonsense with me (knowing fine well that it will win  :[).  0_0