The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

Kad

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2019, 20:28:08 PM »
... although, having looked closely at the free arm, I'm not sure it's small enough for a child's sleeve.  Hmmm.

@Acorn , lack of a freearm is not a problem, I always use what my Nan called 'sew in a teacup' technique. It was usual with the older treadle/hand-cranked machines as they were usually/always flatbed.
 Even though my current machines both have a freearm, I very rarely bother to use it as when 'sewing in the teacup' you have the gathered sleeve head fabric to the top so you can easily avoid any tucks that may want to appear.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ellabella

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2019, 20:34:31 PM »
I always found the free arm on my Janome far to big to be any real use but I could manage fine without it.

My new machine doesn't have a free arm and I've not missed it at all.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2019, 20:43:17 PM »
I agree with all that had been said about not needing a free arm. A waste collector is really handy to have.

Acorn

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2019, 20:47:14 PM »
... and that takes me right back to the Babylock Prestige 750DS.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2019, 20:56:15 PM »
Earlier this year I bought a Babylock Imagine and I absolutely love it.

The quality of stitches on the Babylocks is excellent as is their build quality and they seem to keep going for ever.

I bought an Evolve from Mamashep and its not in the first flush of youth by any means but it stitches like a dream.

If you don't have a coverstitch just O/L the hems of your Tee shirts and then fold up a simple hem and stitch.  That give a neat easy finish.

Coverstitchers are lovely but not essential, once you get used to an overlocker you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

Helen M

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2019, 22:52:21 PM »
I would if I was blind hemming or doing a rolled hem - but as you say, that makes no difference if the free arm is too big anyway.

The rolled hem isn't really a 'hem' as it is on a regular sewing machine, more of a decorative edge as you see on napkins and tablecloths. Also I'd never use an overlocker for a blind hem, I'd use the regular sewing machine.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2019, 23:00:59 PM »
If you are looking at Babylocks be aware that the Prestige isn’t the same as the Imagine etc.  They aren’t made by Babylock. 

SkoutSews

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2019, 09:41:11 AM »
I've never got the hang of freearms. I learnt to sew on a flatbed machine and find the 'sewing inside, inside out' technique much easier.

Neither of my overlockers had a waste collector either. If you tuck the back edge of a plastic bag under the front feet of the machine, it does the trick. So don't let that be a deal breaker if you find the otherwise perfect machine.

Radiofan

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2019, 09:53:01 AM »
If you want to do a blind hem, make sure a blind hem foot/attachment is available for it. This is one thing the s14-78 does not have, though I don't really miss it. Overlocker presser feet are not designed to a standard the way sewing machine feet are.

It works the same way a sewing machine blind hem attachment works, you fold the edge back in a z shape and position it in the guide such that one needle just catches the upper fold. Cut, over-edged and hemmed in one operation.

As for the discussion regarding the worth of a free-arm, I have used it once for a continuous loop of fabric and I found it helped. Yes all is possible without, but if you have the option, choose with freearm.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:12:32 AM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Helen M

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »
If you go for the 2104D you can buy the waste collector. I bought mine at the Hobbycraft show at the NEC last June and paid £20 as it wasn't included in the show offer which was good, as I got the 3 extra feet for free. I could have also bought the table but I've not had one with my 30 year old one, so didn't bother.

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

wrenkins

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2019, 10:59:01 AM »
I bought skinny stretch trousers last year and wanted them a little bit shorter. The leg of my adult trousers wouldn't fit over the free arm never mind a child's sleeve. Waste of time IMO.
The waste catcher would be great....(says she who's just spent ten minutes chasing towelling fluffs round the kitchen!).
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Elnnina

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »
May I add that the waste cutter makes such a difference when overlocking as the blade trims off microscopic pieces of thread and it then just drops into the waste bin.  Yes you can do without and then place a plastic shopping bag so that it is open under the front suction caps, and the threads just fall into that,  OR you can make a tidy out of fabric and this means the machine sits on a flap and the pocket at the bottom is open for all the debris to fall into.

For what it is worth Acorn, a free arm is not really essential, there are ways around this, and as you say you want to be making a lot of little girls clothes then the free arm would probably be too big anyway.  I would go and try a few out if possible and for me sound is essential, the Bernina ones literally PURR quietly away compared with some of the cheaper ones.  Also remember that the little girls will grow so you could be making small clothes for quite a long time yet, and as they get older possibly jeans and other trendy garments will be requested, so you need a machine that is going to see you through all sorts of garments for a good few years.

Have you gone looking at the SMD site, sometimes they have demonstration models of machines that have been used and re boxed and thus they sell these off at a favourable price.  How far is Wrexham from you?  Also remember that SMD often include a goodies pack which consists of something like 50 spools of thread, and five pairs of scissors, plus other things so if you are new to overlocking, the thread set alone would be worth it and might well see you through for a long time.  Yes I know the thread spools will all be different colours/shades, but you can wind off on to bobbins if you are only wanting small amounts, or save your empty thread reels and carefully wind thread on to these.

Good luck with your quest.

Radiofan

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2019, 11:47:05 AM »
The free arm circumference of the s14-78 is 27cm, which is small enough for arm holes,  short sleeves and my trouser legs. I think the no-free-arm proponents are just jealous  :P
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Holly Berry

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2019, 12:27:46 PM »
Juki all the way for me.

I’ve got a Janome Coverpro 1000 and I’m ready to throw it out of the window, it’s so temperamental. Seriously looking at the Juki coverstitch.

For a thread catcher on my old overlocker, I made one from a washing pod container, covered it in fabric and attached a mat to it to stand the overlocker on. Works a treat.
Procrastination get behind me

Acorn

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
If you are looking at Babylocks be aware that the Prestige isn’t the same as the Imagine etc.  They aren’t made by Babylock.

Thank you @Ohsewsimple - that explains a lot.  There don't seem to be any individual feet available for the Babylock Prestige, just a set of 5 for £120, 3 of which I wouldn't want anyway, and it clearly doesn't take other Babylock feet.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.