The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

Elnnina

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2019, 13:28:43 PM »
Acorn, do you remember that Lolli was looking into getting an overlocker may be a year to eighteen months ago.  She looked at Bambers and finally decided to go with Machine Steve over in Kings Lynn.  I believe she was impressed with how Steve went about sorting her out with the right machine for her again I believe  a Juki, and she also got some extra goodies thrown in  and all delivered very quickly.  Sadly Lolli hasn't been on TSP for quite some time so  we do not know how she got on with her overlocker.

Thinking again about what you intend to use the machine for as well as sewing items for you, if I couldn't get hold of a Bernina because of the price, I think I would consider  Juki - if they are made in the same place and by the same people who make for Bernina that makes me think this would be a excellent machine and would last you for many years.  After all you do not want to buy a cheap one now, and then wish that you had bought something better in a short while.

Going back to my smaller Bernina 1100DA (bought in 2003) I immediately fell in love with the ease and look of the roll hem effect.  As I have said previousy I was making my daughters wedding dress, my own outfit and her bridesmaids dresses and had to change overlockers three weeks before the wedding.  I personally am a large lady, my outfit was in ivory with sprigs of burgandy flowers all over, my top had an enormous bust dart which of course showed through, so I sliced it off (had never done it like this before) and then finished it off by a neat rolled hem, it really worked a treat. Changing to a rolled hem is done by simply moving a lever to the front right by the needle plate - it really is as easy as that.

Radiofan

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2019, 14:52:45 PM »
Ho much you intend to use the overlocker is an important consideration.

I struggled with the economics of buying one. I try to justify the cost of buying every tool I own. With 2nd hand sewing machines costing up to £50, I got a quick return on my investment, a few projects and the machine pays for itself.

But buying something so specialized at around £200 I had a hard time justifying. How long would it take to recoup the cost? Well, I estimate it probably saves me 1 hour each project and I can probably manage 1 project per month.

If I estimate my hour to be worth £20, it will take 10 projects and 10 months to recover the cost. On the other hand, If I value my hour so highly, I shouldn't be sewing at all because it takes me over a day to finish a garment and I can buy top quality clothing for less.

Let's say it takes me 8 hours to finish a garment worth £40. My hour is worth £5 because that is how much the job is worth. It will take 3 years and four months to recover the cost of buying the overlocker.

Before anyone points out that it is an investment, it's a very bad one (in the short term) because 2nd hand, they end up selling for less than half price.

So why did I end up buying one? Because it is a hobby, I get enjoyment from playing with fancy equipment and I like the higher quality finish. I have spent a shed load more on other hobbies. I did however opt for a cheaper model in accordance with my usage.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 17:51:18 PM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2019, 15:47:41 PM »
@Radiofan  the freearm on my Huskylock is 21cm, but don't know about later ones. It is 22 years old and still going strong.
If you do piping on things, it is excellent.  I just made 30m of piping. Cut 20 full width strips of the cloth (which frays like anything) joined them on the diagonal, then folded it round the piping cord, stitched close to the cord with my zipper foot.  The overlocker ran it all through in a few minutes, leaving me with tidy, non fraying flange at a constant width.  It makes sewing it on the seamline evenly very easy.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2019, 16:54:52 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Eastman Tailor?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Helen M

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2019, 18:08:06 PM »
I've never heard of them Acorn but the machine is very heavy at 8kgs. My regular part metal Janome is only 7kgs. Also on the further info it says it weighs 15kgs........
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2019, 18:28:33 PM »
@Acorn can you get to a shop to have a look?   If you’ve not had an overlocker before you’re probably going to need some help with it. 

annieeg

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2019, 18:30:32 PM »
Another name to throw in the mix is Britannia.

Acorn

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2019, 18:49:52 PM »
@Helen M I noticed that!  I would be OK with the 8kg - I won't want to move it often, and heavier should mean less bouncy.  15kg, however, would be astonishing.

@Ohsewsimple Unfortunately not - the only ones I could test within 40 miles would be Janome, and I've pretty much ruled them out.  I will be relying on Youtube - which is a good reason to go for Brother, as they seem to be well represented.  the Baby Lock one doesn't seem to feature at all, other than one video which just shows it sewing on various fabrics with nothing in between. 

@annieeg Ooh - off to google!  Thanks.

Sewbusy

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2019, 18:53:21 PM »
@annieeg  I'm not throwing my Brittania Coversttich anywhere 0_0 Very happy with it to date and particularly considering the relatively small outlay.

I have a Bernina,Bernette 800DL overlocker which I am also very happy with. Should I need to replace the overlocker though, I'd definitely look at the Brittania  @ £269.00, can't be bad plus a set of 5 feet for £59.00

Compared with the 'luxury' of a Babylock or a Bernina, yes, there is a difference, but the price difference is huge. However I've had a Babylock Evolve Wave which I decided to sell, preferring a separate overlocker and coverstitch for convenience.

Juki do some very nice machines too.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 18:57:17 PM by Sewbusy »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2019, 18:55:54 PM »
I've finally checked what my overlocker is - it's a Brother 3034, about four years old I think, from SMD.  I've had no trouble with it, although it may be a bit noisy, but not as noisy as my Babylock coverstitcher.

Sewbusy

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2019, 20:04:08 PM »
@Acorn  Two videos showing the Brittania Overstitch I bought. First for threading and second for removing fabric when you've finished.  The gentleman doing the demonstration is Neil at Franklins Sewing in Salisbury, he was the person in the shop who demonstrated it for me.  You can hear the machine running and it is not overly loud, nor does it 'bounce around'.
The machine I bought behaves exactly the same as the one being demonstrated. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVy8UlNYWmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_hFbtqdBw

Pat

Acorn

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »
@annieeg Have you had a Britannia overlocker?

I'm a bit wary of them because they don't seem to be very widely available, but what I have been able to find out seems pretty good.  And the coverstitcher is a great price.

Oh, and can anyone tell me whether it would help to have an overlocker and coverstitch from the same manufacturer?  Are they similar enough for it to make any difference?

This just gets more and more complicated.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:20:18 AM by Acorn »

Acorn

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2019, 11:35:43 AM »
Actually, Britannia seems to be a non-starter anyway, as the only place that appears to have one in stock is Pembertons in Stirling, and they say they can't sell it outside Scotland!

I suppose that's simplified things a bit!

BrendaP

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2019, 11:36:00 AM »
I can't see any reason why two separate machines need to come from the same manufacturer; they are different beasts (unless you get a combined machine).

Overlockers, of necessity, have the blade to the right of the needle so even if the knife is disengaged there can't be a flat harp area.  Coverstitchers generally have a more conventional shape with a flat area to the right of the needles which makes it easier to stitch down the middle of something if that's what you want to do.

Some overlockers and some coverstitchers use regular 130/705H needles, some use 130/ELx needles (which have a longer groove to protect the thread at high speeds) but other than that it doesn't matter.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

fajita

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2019, 11:55:58 AM »
Can't sell outside of Scotland?   ><