The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

Sewbusy

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2019, 12:02:48 PM »
@Acorn  Brittania sewing Machines is part of the Franklins Group.

May be worth giving them a call tomorrow and asking if/when they expect to have new stock       https://britanniasewing.com/contact/

Alternatively You could ring one of the Franklins shops, there are a few. Neil at Salisbury the man who did the videos seems very on the ball. He'll give you great impartial advice re the various overlocker and coverstitch machines which they stock, Bernina, Brittania, Janome and Juki.

Helen M

« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2019, 12:04:34 PM »
Acorn I really think you need to see a machine and have a go. I think someone mentioned SMD in Wrexham are you too far away to go and see them? I've not bought from them but they gave me some good advice when I was narrowing down a choice and asking about various overlockers that have come out since my 1989 Brother (almost identical to 1034/2104).

Re the harp area, my old Brother definitely has more 'harp space' than the 2104D and overhead you can see the piece of fabric that you have just overlocked. It took me a little while to work out why I felt a bit 'claustrophobic' with the new one if that makes sense.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Agree about not sticking to same manufacturer. My regular and my coverstitch are Janome but I prefer Brother for overlocking to any of Janome's machines that I've tried. 2 friends had them and I gave them a bit of tuition many years ago.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Acorn

« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »
@fajita That's what it says here!

@Sewbusy I'm a little concerned that the Britannia website is also out of stock.

@Helen M Wrexham is about 90 miles away.  I could test Janome locally, but nobody seems remotely enthusiastic about them, and I suspect I wouldn't be able to test the model I'd be interested in anyway.

I'm actually thinking Jaguar at the moment... anyone got any thoughts?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Helen M

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »
I've seen them at a sewing show but not looked closely as I wasn't needing to buy. Which model and what is swinging you towards it?

I really think the threading should be one of the main things you look at as most of the other things you can alter easily and need to slightly for different kinds of materials. I think most will agree that Brother are the most simple to thread apart from those with air threaders.

Acorn

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2019, 12:41:29 PM »
The 489 - there's a review here.  It says it's easy to thread and quiet.  I like the look of it - the layout I mean, it doesn't look as cramped as some - and it is 2/3/4 thread, which is unusual at this price level.  GUR have a good deal with 5 feet and a lot of thread included.

Sewbee

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2019, 13:02:14 PM »
Jaguar now makes the overlockers for Bernina.

Helen M

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2019, 13:17:17 PM »
It's good that you can swing open the front because that is the part that you need to access for threading the underlooper. The Brother doesn't need this because there is a part that pulls out you will have seen it on videos I'm sure, you put the thread round it and push it back in.

I will say that the newer one is noisier than my old faithful! So maybe the Jaguar is a good bet for you. Would you buy from GUR? I got good advice from them about my Janome sewing machine that I thought was on it's way out a few years ago, it wasn't!

Acorn

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2019, 13:31:00 PM »
I am feeling quite enthusiastic about this one now.  I'm reading a lot of things that praise the build quality.

I would almost certainly get it from GUR - I could buy it via Amazon or Ebay as well, but both would be from GUR anyway.  Frustratingly, if I order via Amazon I could get it tomorrow, but without the extras (and at a lower price, but not lower enough!) 

Thanks @Sewbee - that's very good to know!

annieeg

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2019, 14:01:11 PM »
@Acorn
I don't have a Britannia but I also  had a long chat with Neil  at Franklin's  on the phone as well as exchanging messages with @Sewbusy .  I almost bought one but decided to persevere with my old elna 744. 

The machines were on The sewing quarter tv programme.   They are all on youtube so you could search their youtube site and find the demonstration.

Annie

sleepingwolf

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2019, 15:15:55 PM »
I have the Jaguar machine but mine is branded as Frister Rossman.  I bought it from Sewing Machines Direct and they delivered next day.  I really like how solid it feels and having the front opening all the way makes it very easy to thread and to clean.  I also have the extra feet but have only used the gathering foot and the blind hem foot so far.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Acorn

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2019, 15:53:57 PM »
Ooh - I have been looking at that one and thinking that it looks very much the same as the other one (in fact it's open in the very next tab to this one!)  It would work out cheaper because the set of feet would be reduced to £35 as an extra.

It would be very good to know there was someone else with experience of one - thank you @sleepingwolf.

sewingj

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2019, 15:58:17 PM »
@Acorn  it's very good if you to do all this research so I won't have to bother if I decide to get an overlocker!

Acorn

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2019, 16:05:02 PM »
Haha - Lolli did the same thing a bit over a year ago.  Very useful, although she had a slightly higher budget than me.  It seems that choosing an overlocker causes more confusion than any other machine type!

Acorn

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2019, 16:39:32 PM »
Dunnit!!  Frister & Rossmann Jaguar 234DF Knitlock Overlocker to be despatched tomorrow by SMD.  I got a discount, and the extra feet at a bargain price.

I was very impressed to get online chat help at 4.30pm on a Sunday!

Elnnina

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2019, 17:13:40 PM »
Well done Acorn, now you will be on tenterhooks all day tomorrow waiting for your parcel to arrive.  Get yourself armed with plenty of scraps, calico and anything else and when it arrives you can just play.  Plan a simple meal for tomorrow night, you will be too busy to go cooking!