The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

sleepingwolf

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2019, 15:15:55 PM »
I have the Jaguar machine but mine is branded as Frister Rossman.  I bought it from Sewing Machines Direct and they delivered next day.  I really like how solid it feels and having the front opening all the way makes it very easy to thread and to clean.  I also have the extra feet but have only used the gathering foot and the blind hem foot so far.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Acorn

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2019, 15:53:57 PM »
Ooh - I have been looking at that one and thinking that it looks very much the same as the other one (in fact it's open in the very next tab to this one!)  It would work out cheaper because the set of feet would be reduced to £35 as an extra.

It would be very good to know there was someone else with experience of one - thank you @sleepingwolf.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2019, 15:58:17 PM »
@Acorn  it's very good if you to do all this research so I won't have to bother if I decide to get an overlocker!

Acorn

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2019, 16:05:02 PM »
Haha - Lolli did the same thing a bit over a year ago.  Very useful, although she had a slightly higher budget than me.  It seems that choosing an overlocker causes more confusion than any other machine type!

Acorn

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2019, 16:39:32 PM »
Dunnit!!  Frister & Rossmann Jaguar 234DF Knitlock Overlocker to be despatched tomorrow by SMD.  I got a discount, and the extra feet at a bargain price.

I was very impressed to get online chat help at 4.30pm on a Sunday!

Elnnina

« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2019, 17:13:40 PM »
Well done Acorn, now you will be on tenterhooks all day tomorrow waiting for your parcel to arrive.  Get yourself armed with plenty of scraps, calico and anything else and when it arrives you can just play.  Plan a simple meal for tomorrow night, you will be too busy to go cooking!

wrenkins

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2019, 17:21:59 PM »
I kept a bag of old knackered T shirts and tatt and then practised on dishcloths and fishy towels!  :S
Fashion fades, style is forever!

Acorn

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2019, 17:32:54 PM »
It's going to arrive on Tuesday, probably while I'm at the opticians!  Fortunately it's coming by DPD so I can tell them to leave it in the porch.

I'll make sure Wednesday is nice and clear!  Now... scraps of jersey and old t-shirts...

Acorn

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2019, 17:38:19 PM »
... and tomorrow I need to clear a space for it on the dining table, because there's no space in my sewing room/study at the moment!

Helen M

« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2019, 19:15:57 PM »
Great news Acorn!

Can I suggest you use some non stretch fabrics, sheeting is good, to get the hang of it before you go to knits. Going straight to knits is like going over 2 hurdles together!

When I have an issue I always go back to a piece of cotton and get that tension right and surprisingly there is often not much to adjust for a knit. Once you get a satisfactory stitch have a piece of paper (maybe a small note book) and jot down the setting numbers for each of the threads. Also use a double thickness everytime.
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 30 metres
So far: 5m metres

SkoutSews

« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2019, 20:55:36 PM »
Lovely, a new toy!

sleepingwolf

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2019, 21:10:08 PM »
Happy for you.  Hope it gives you years of fun serging!  One tip - if you have a problem check the presser foot is down.  I once spent 3 fruitless hour trying to adjust the tension on a flatlock seam before I realised the foot was up.  Put it down and everything worked fine.

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2019, 21:40:15 PM »
I was very impressed to get online chat help at 4.30pm on a Sunday!

GUR are pretty great in my experience. I bought my sewing machine as an ex-display and they sent me a new one!

Acorn

« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2019, 21:43:26 PM »
This was SMD - obviously cut from the same cloth! 

Bogwoppit

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2019, 22:55:50 PM »
That;s the one I got earlier in the year.  It came threaded with thread that matched the colour dials.  Great for first play straight from the box!
I made some very fancy dishcloths to start with. 
Then a pair of jogging bottoms for my eldest (fancy multicoloured flatlocked panels down the side) and a few stretch headbands/neck warmers.

Next life intervened and it's been in its box for a good few months.  Need to get going again!
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.