The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

Helen M

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 20:38:56 PM »
Thank you for all the recommendations!
Has anyone got any experience of a Huskylock (Husqvarna) overlocker?

My 'sister' (we are not, but always asked if we are!) in the US first had a Huskylock and hated it. She now has a Babylock.

I have a 30 year old Brother 730D, a 3 thread with differential feed which I still love (it was the forerunner of the 1034D I'm sure but it's much heavier). It was playing up on thicker fabric so I bought a Brother 2104D last year. It stitches fine but I prefer my original for most things. The new one has a smaller harp area which I didn't realise until I used it. Threading is easy on both but for some reason the order is different on the older one.

If you are scared of cutting seams off remove either of the needles and use it as a 3 thread for trimming edges. It's how I use mine and you don't need to trim off until you are sure of the fit and a single seam is easier to unpick!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 21:21:03 PM »
I’ve used a few Husqvarna overlockers.  Can’t remember who makes them but it’s not Husqvarna.  Personally not a fan of them. 

Helen M

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 21:31:57 PM »
I’ve used a few Husqvarna overlockers.  Can’t remember who makes them but it’s not Husqvarna.  Personally not a fan of them.

I once saw an identical model of my 30 year old 730D Lock in the US being sold as a Huskylock by Viking. The feet were identical and I bought one that was much cheaper than the Brother foot. At the time I thought my Brother was maybe made by Husqvarna.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 21:40:32 PM »
@Acorn  My first overlocker was a Huskylock.  It is a bit more fiddly to thread than my Janome, but does a good job still and it has a freearm for narrow sleeves etc.  I like them both.  Don't know about modern machines though, it is at least 20 years old ( have to go up to the attic to check and can't face it just now).
I love the way I can overlock the edge of fraying fabric before washing it, and when making curtains, those linens and   voiles just love to fray.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Radiofan

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 08:53:54 AM »
I had the Lidl Singer and found it to be a disaster. Could never get a consistent tension and when I took it in for repair the result was still lacklustre. It was also so loud and rattled the whole table top in comparison to my Juki. I felt like the Singer just wouldn't last that long.
Sounds like it was faulty, or maybe a different model (perhaps not the S14-78). The machine has suction cups underneath and it moves a bit in operation, but the vibration is dampened by the suckers. Mine is no louder than a sewing machine, has free-arm capability and it is possible to disengage the knife.

For something that costs in the order of £160, I think it is excellent value, finishing edges has never been quicker or easier. Previously I had been using a zig-zag stitch with an over-edge presser foot mostly because the zigzag is much quicker than the fancy over-edge stitches. The overlocker is so much faster.

When I first got it, I had the problem of loops hanging over the edge but this was quickly fixed by adjusting the stitch finger lever one mm or so. Nowhere in the manual did it mention that!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:59:07 AM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 08:55:50 AM »
OK, I think I'll rule out Huskylock!!!   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »
If anyone considered themselves "proficient" they could do a wee mini tute about starting, finishing, coupla basic moves....just saying!
If you look for videos on Youtube they seem to have a 99:1 ratio of threading:everything else!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 09:21:06 AM »
Just in case you are tempted by a 'too good' offer, don't touch a Necchi with a bargepole.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »
@wrenkins , I found a good set of tutorials here.

Most of the tutorials are for Pfaffs (although this one demos a Juki), but they are very informative and were a godsend when I bought my combi machine.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 09:30:58 AM »

When I bought my Bernina overlocker about three years ago, from a proper bricks & mortar shop I asked about Husqvarna and was told they didn't stock them because (unlike their sewing/embroidery machines) they weren't very good. :S

I know that a lot of you like your Brother overlockers, but the one I test drove sounded really rough and clunky, the Bernina purrs.  I guess it's like most things, you get what you pay for, but I wouldn't be without an overlocker now.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 09:46:12 AM »
Yes, my Brother sounds as rough as a badger's a***e, always has done, but sews well.  I can't imagine how I coped without an overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »
Ohhh... I've been watching youtube videos, and I think I may have spotted a fatal flaw.

Does an overlocker do a hem that looks like a twin needle hem - ie two rows of parallel stitching on the outside?  Is that something that only coverstitchers do?

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 10:00:45 AM »
@Acorn , yes that's a Coverstitcher.  Used for decorative effects, hems etc.

I have a Pfaff machine that does both in one machine - it is a bit of a learning curve though.  I don't use the CS option half as much as I use the OL.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 10:04:58 AM »
Oh.   :(

From what I can see, coverstitchers are quite a bit more expensive and coverlockers a lot more so.

I'm really glad I asked though!

Helen M

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
If it's easy threading you need I'd go for a Brother.

My newer one is more noisy than the first I have to say though.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:11:26 AM by Helen M »