The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

b15erk

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »
If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose the overlocker.  Far more useful.  I only bought my combi because it was an Ebay bargain.  I do love it, but I use the OL option far more than I use the CS.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »
Overlockers sew and cut at the same time.  They can be used for neatening seam allowances (use 3 threads and 1 needle) and for sewing stretch fabrics (use 4 threads and 2 needles). 

More expensive models will use 5 threads, they make a 2 thread chain-stitch beside a narrow 3 thread overlocked edge.  Look inside RTW, a lot of it has this.

Cover stitchers make what looks similar to a twin, or triple, needle on a regular machine on the front, but stretchier.

IMO an overlocker is a must if you sew clothing, a cover stitcher is a luxury.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »
The trouble is, the thing that is untidy on my t-shirts is the hemming.  I've never had any problem with straight and zigzag for seams - undoubtedly takes longer than with an overlocker, but can be done neatly.  Twin needle hemming, though, is fraught with problems.  I'd psyched myself up to solve the hemming issue.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 10:55:15 AM »
I use the overlocker to finish the cut edge of the hem, then press it up and either hand stitch the hem or do just one row of stitches on the sewing machine. Very tidy.

Acorn

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »
Mmmm.  That would help.   ><

b15erk

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 10:58:47 AM »
I don't always use the CS for hems @Acorn , even though I have one.  I love the look of the three step zig zag  here and use it often.

I have also been known to use a faux hem, or just a simple rolled hem.

Lots of other options too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »
I thought I liked the idea of a rolled hem, but I gather they show the overlocking on the outside, which I don't like.  I hadn't thought of looking at other dcorative stitches on my machine for hemming - that's a good idea.

Does anyone know anything about the Janome MyLock 644D, which can work with just two threads, which I understand can be more decorative, or the Baby Lock Prestige 750DS which has an integrated threader and a free arm - which seems to be a good idea for hemming children's sleeves (although less necessary than I was thinking!)?

Oh, and what on earth are 'thread stripping discs'??

b15erk

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 11:10:01 AM »
The rolled hem on the OL looks quite different to the one on the sewing machine @Acorn .  The one on the sewing machine is just a very tiny hem, with a row of stitching on the top. Your machine probably comes with a special foot to do this with, it has a sort of curl on the top.  ;)

Jessie

toileandtrouble

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »
'thread stripping discs'  I think are the little plastic discs that sit on top of the reels of thread. Just hold it away from the spindle to avoid tangles.  A rolled hem on the overlocker is the sort that is often found on the edge of chiffon scarves. the stitches are so close together, they don't look like overlocking, especially if you use a decorative thread.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 15:45:05 PM »
I have discounted both the Janome MyLock 644D and the Baby Lock Prestige 750DS as neither has a free arm.

I'm currently thinking about the Brother M343D or the Brother 2104D - I can't actually figure out what the difference is.

I realise these are both likely to be a bit noisy, and as they are fairly light (6.5kg) they may bounce a little, but they have free arms and are easy to thread, and I think they are the best I can do without jumping into a much higher price range.  I'd happily pay £100 more for a bit more substance, but there doesn't seem to be anything with the free arm.

Edited to add:  Or the Brother 3034DWT!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 15:53:53 PM by Acorn »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2019, 18:48:49 PM »
@Acorn is it definitely an overlocker you want?   I saw one of your posts about wanting to do hems. 
I don’t have a free arm on either my overlocker or coverstitch. I’ve never found it a problem.  It wouldn’t be a main consideration when buying either for me. 

Acorn

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2019, 19:25:48 PM »
I would really like a coverstitch, but they seem to start at £500, and I can't bring myself to spend that much.  An overlocker would still be useful, but much more affordable.

I have always needed the free arm on my sewing machine, and I assume I'll find the same on an overlocker - particularly for hemming or neatening the edges of a child's sleeve.

Acorn

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2019, 19:33:14 PM »
... although, having looked closely at the free arm, I'm not sure it's small enough for a child's sleeve.  Hmmm.

It does still have the ease of threading, and only costs £220 though.

Helen M

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2019, 20:20:02 PM »
Acorn I don't think there is any difference between the 2 Brother models you mentioned. I think M343D was sold on Amazon and not by dealers.

The other one is the one that I have (a spare as my other 30 year old Brother was playing up). I'm not sure that you'd get a child's sleeve round the free arm of it but my other one doesn't have a free arm and it never caused a problem. You need to turn the sleeve inside out to stitch on the right side of the fabric. You wouldn't actually be hemming the sleeve on the overlocker.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Acorn

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2019, 20:27:49 PM »
I would if I was blind hemming or doing a rolled hem - but as you say, that makes no difference if the free arm is too big anyway.

I've come to the conclusion that the only difference between those two models, and the third one, is what comes with them (and the pretty pattern on the M343D).  The M343D (£188) doesn't have the three extra feet that come with the 2104D (£219) - £75 worth of feet for an extra £32.  The 3034DWT (£259) has the feet, an extension table and a waste collector.