The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

wrenkins

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2019, 17:21:59 PM »
I kept a bag of old knackered T shirts and tatt and then practised on dishcloths and fishy towels!  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2019, 17:32:54 PM »
It's going to arrive on Tuesday, probably while I'm at the opticians!  Fortunately it's coming by DPD so I can tell them to leave it in the porch.

I'll make sure Wednesday is nice and clear!  Now... scraps of jersey and old t-shirts...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2019, 17:38:19 PM »
... and tomorrow I need to clear a space for it on the dining table, because there's no space in my sewing room/study at the moment!

Helen M

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2019, 19:15:57 PM »
Great news Acorn!

Can I suggest you use some non stretch fabrics, sheeting is good, to get the hang of it before you go to knits. Going straight to knits is like going over 2 hurdles together!

When I have an issue I always go back to a piece of cotton and get that tension right and surprisingly there is often not much to adjust for a knit. Once you get a satisfactory stitch have a piece of paper (maybe a small note book) and jot down the setting numbers for each of the threads. Also use a double thickness everytime.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SkoutSews

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2019, 20:55:36 PM »
Lovely, a new toy!

sleepingwolf

« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2019, 21:10:08 PM »
Happy for you.  Hope it gives you years of fun serging!  One tip - if you have a problem check the presser foot is down.  I once spent 3 fruitless hour trying to adjust the tension on a flatlock seam before I realised the foot was up.  Put it down and everything worked fine.

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2019, 21:40:15 PM »
I was very impressed to get online chat help at 4.30pm on a Sunday!

GUR are pretty great in my experience. I bought my sewing machine as an ex-display and they sent me a new one!

Acorn

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2019, 21:43:26 PM »
This was SMD - obviously cut from the same cloth! 

Bogwoppit

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2019, 22:55:50 PM »
That;s the one I got earlier in the year.  It came threaded with thread that matched the colour dials.  Great for first play straight from the box!
I made some very fancy dishcloths to start with. 
Then a pair of jogging bottoms for my eldest (fancy multicoloured flatlocked panels down the side) and a few stretch headbands/neck warmers.

Next life intervened and it's been in its box for a good few months.  Need to get going again!
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Sewbusy

« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »
@Acorn Good for you taking the plunge so to speak. I'm sure like myself and many others you'll soon wonder how you managed without an overlocker, the ease and finish is great and the speed of achieving this is so much quicker than with using a traditional sewing machine, overlock stitch/zigzag/twin needle. "Why didn't I do it earlier?" is often said.

I did speak with Neil at Franklins re future availability  of the Brittania Overlocker and the Coverstitch machines  and apparently they were caught out by the volume of sales generated by the advertising on the craft programme, they hadn't anticipated this, so were unprepared with their stock levels. New stocks are expected and will be available in two weeks.  Please don't think I'm 'promoting' Brittania or Franklins, above other manufacturers and distributors. I was pleased with the product and just wanted to share the knowledge and information I had gleaned.

Pat

Acorn

« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
I am glad to know that @Sewbusy - if/when I get a coverlocker Britannia are at the top of my list.

Acorn

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
@sleepingwolf @Bogwoppit Does the Jaguar overlocker take ordinary machine needles?  If not, where do you get them?

CCL

« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
I just wanted to pop in and thank Acorn for this thread and all of you for your thoughts.  I have never particularly wanted an over locker  because I prefer other techniques for finishing, and frankly, didn't want to take on the learning curve.  But you all have me rethinking.

Acorn, I can't wait to see your decision.  I have learned a lot from reading here.
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Bogwoppit

« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »
Normal needles.
Mine came with 2 packs of organ super stretch 90/14.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Greybird

« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2019, 12:49:33 PM »
My Janome specifies HA 1SP needles and I get them from Ebay.