The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

Sewbusy

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »
@Acorn Good for you taking the plunge so to speak. I'm sure like myself and many others you'll soon wonder how you managed without an overlocker, the ease and finish is great and the speed of achieving this is so much quicker than with using a traditional sewing machine, overlock stitch/zigzag/twin needle. "Why didn't I do it earlier?" is often said.

I did speak with Neil at Franklins re future availability  of the Brittania Overlocker and the Coverstitch machines  and apparently they were caught out by the volume of sales generated by the advertising on the craft programme, they hadn't anticipated this, so were unprepared with their stock levels. New stocks are expected and will be available in two weeks.  Please don't think I'm 'promoting' Brittania or Franklins, above other manufacturers and distributors. I was pleased with the product and just wanted to share the knowledge and information I had gleaned.

Pat

Acorn

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
I am glad to know that @Sewbusy - if/when I get a coverlocker Britannia are at the top of my list.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
@sleepingwolf @Bogwoppit Does the Jaguar overlocker take ordinary machine needles?  If not, where do you get them?

CCL

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
I just wanted to pop in and thank Acorn for this thread and all of you for your thoughts.  I have never particularly wanted an over locker  because I prefer other techniques for finishing, and frankly, didn't want to take on the learning curve.  But you all have me rethinking.

Acorn, I can't wait to see your decision.  I have learned a lot from reading here.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »
Normal needles.
Mine came with 2 packs of organ super stretch 90/14.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Greybird

« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2019, 12:49:33 PM »
My Janome specifies HA 1SP needles and I get them from Ebay.

sewingj

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2019, 14:06:26 PM »
Acorn - please will you let us know how you get on with it? It would be helpful to know if there is anything you particularly like/dislike about it.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2019, 16:07:42 PM »
It uses ordinary machine needles.  I usually use universals but on some fabrics stretch or microtex have been useful. I try not to put needles used in the overlocker into my sewing machine afterwards because I'm worried that they wear differently but I've no idea if this is actually true.

Acorn

« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »
It's arriving this afternoon 'between 12:42 and 13:42'.  Annoyingly, I have an optician's appointment ten miles away at 14.40.

jintie

« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
Acorn, I always make notes as I go along in pencil in the manual. Info for a single step is often spread across the manual. It was only after I got to grips with my Bernina 1300DA,  that I realised it was the manual from hell, not the machine.
Watching any online videos helps.

aprilla

« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
Well wear Acorn!! I just got to reading about it and it sounds like a really nice machine, I'm sure you'll love it.

wrenkins

« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »
I downloaded this when I got mine. I realise it's for the Bernina but the skills and tips are transferable and as I was clueless everything helped.
It's kind of a samples diary giving all the different settings and results with places for notes.
Fashion fades, style is forever!

Acorn

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2019, 18:45:49 PM »
Thanks everyone.   :)

Here she is:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

You can't see properly, but she came ready threaded with 4 reels of thread in colours that match the colour marking on the machine, so it is easy to follow where each thread goes in the stitching.  I will be able to keep a sample of each type of stitching done in these colours to refer to in future when I want to figure out which thread tension needs changing.

This shows my very first attempt at stitching with her:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The bottom stitching is mine - not quite as good as the top one, which was already done, but not bad, I don't think.

Interestingly, even though none of my other machines have names, this one seems to need one.

wrenkins

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2019, 18:50:48 PM »
Lully!  :loveit:
Health to enjoy.
Fashion fades, style is forever!

BrendaP

« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2019, 22:49:46 PM »
That looks good.  The front and the back of overlocking looks similar but is not identical.

The main thing to be aware of when you are playing making your samples is to be sure that the looper threads (blue and lilac) link around each other at the very edge of the fabric.  If they are out of balance and the linking is on the top loosen the upper looper or tighten the lower looper, and vice-versa if the linking is to the underneath.  It's common sense really.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/