The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

sewingj

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2019, 14:06:26 PM »
Acorn - please will you let us know how you get on with it? It would be helpful to know if there is anything you particularly like/dislike about it.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2019, 16:07:42 PM »
It uses ordinary machine needles.  I usually use universals but on some fabrics stretch or microtex have been useful. I try not to put needles used in the overlocker into my sewing machine afterwards because I'm worried that they wear differently but I've no idea if this is actually true.

Acorn

« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »
It's arriving this afternoon 'between 12:42 and 13:42'.  Annoyingly, I have an optician's appointment ten miles away at 14.40.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

jintie

« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
Acorn, I always make notes as I go along in pencil in the manual. Info for a single step is often spread across the manual. It was only after I got to grips with my Bernina 1300DA,  that I realised it was the manual from hell, not the machine.
Watching any online videos helps.
Rottweiler with scissors

aprilla

« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
Well wear Acorn!! I just got to reading about it and it sounds like a really nice machine, I'm sure you'll love it.

wrenkins

« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »
I downloaded this when I got mine. I realise it's for the Bernina but the skills and tips are transferable and as I was clueless everything helped.
It's kind of a samples diary giving all the different settings and results with places for notes.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2019, 18:45:49 PM »
Thanks everyone.   :)

Here she is:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

You can't see properly, but she came ready threaded with 4 reels of thread in colours that match the colour marking on the machine, so it is easy to follow where each thread goes in the stitching.  I will be able to keep a sample of each type of stitching done in these colours to refer to in future when I want to figure out which thread tension needs changing.

This shows my very first attempt at stitching with her:

The bottom stitching is mine - not quite as good as the top one, which was already done, but not bad, I don't think.

Interestingly, even though none of my other machines have names, this one seems to need one.

wrenkins

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2019, 18:50:48 PM »
Lully!  :loveit:
Health to enjoy.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2019, 22:49:46 PM »
That looks good.  The front and the back of overlocking looks similar but is not identical.

The main thing to be aware of when you are playing making your samples is to be sure that the looper threads (blue and lilac) link around each other at the very edge of the fabric.  If they are out of balance and the linking is on the top loosen the upper looper or tighten the lower looper, and vice-versa if the linking is to the underneath.  It's common sense really.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2019, 12:09:41 PM »
I am staggered (so far) at how unscary it is!!  I've just done my first real sewing (jersey knit nightie).  Quick test on a scrap, and then the side seams.

I knotted the threads to change to the proper cones - no problem, although the test thread in the upper looper had snapped, so I had to rethread that one properly - no problem.  Maybe I'll learn them one at a time!

Oh, and she's called Lucy.  Loopy Lucy.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2019, 12:18:42 PM »
Told you so!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Elnnina

« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »
Brilliant Acorn, now there will be no stopping you.

A word of warning here, keep your pins well away from fabric going through the overlocker, sometimes they can get a bit hidden and then crunch and it throws everything out, so it is best to start straight away no pins anywhere in the fabric.

I knew someone who fouled up two overlockers with a hidden pin, and it wasn't obvious, she was not happy at the damage this had caused let alone the cost of repairs and the inconvenience.

Now go and have fun and enjoy.

SkoutSews

« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »
Aaand you're off! You'll have a good pile of new overlocked garments in no time.

Helen M

« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2019, 12:55:37 PM »
Told you so! They are made out to be scary things but they are IMO anything but.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

aprilla

« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2019, 13:33:32 PM »
Loopy Lucy   :loveit: :loveit:   Love it!!