The Sewing Place

Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...

jintie

Re: Okaaayyy... maybe I need an overlocker...
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2019, 12:09:43 PM »
If computers needed so much human intervention,  they wouldn't be so popular.
Rottweiler with scissors

Helen M

« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »
I can only thank whoever is the patron saint of overlockers for guiding me to my Brother Lock 730D back in 1989 (yikes)! I can honestly say I've rarely had to re thread (I can do it in no time thanks to Brother's easy U looper thingy) due to a breakage and took to it like a duck to water. Granted it is only 3 thread so seams get done before, or on some knits the 3 thread stitch is enough.

There weren't that many around back in those day and my choice was between a 4 thread Janome, with no differential feed, and the Brother 3 or 4 which had the Diff. I spent many lunchtimes trudging between Lewis's and Kendals in Manchester (they were not close together....). There was a difference of £100 in price between the 3 and 4 thread Brother and as I was expecting to use it mainly for edges of hems and other seams I went with the 3 and have never looked back. A couple of years ago it started to play up on heavy fabrics. I changed the blades and it was okay but it started playing up again so I decided to go for the 2104D in case the other gave up. I wish I'd gone for a 1034D as I don't like the LED lighting, the other is much brighter. I still use the old Brother most of the time and it purrs along.

I keep meaning to get it serviced at Bambers, he said there isn't much that can go wrong and helped me when I changed the blades. I just oil it as instructed. The only needles I have broken were 2, in fairly quick succession, Janome blue tip which it obviously dislikes. I don't pin but am a fan of tacking (on everything I'll confess) as I feel I can get a better run and take it slowly if it's a tricky fabric.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Morgan

« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
Suggestion for the wary, frustrated, want to do better, etc.   -
How about joining together and support each other to build up your own Samples & Settings folder as you try and practise the exercises in this workbook - eg. 1 chapter per week.
The exercises can be done on any overlocker, so don't be put off that your machine is not the make or model in the workbook.  Just have your manual handy.

Workbook Exercises for overlocker (& coverstitch)

It takes you through step by step and builds up your understanding and confidence.
By working on exercises instead of projects, you have permission to get it wonky.  You have to make things wonky so you can get the hang of adjusting the different settings to get the result you want.
The idea is you - Use different coloured threads, Try the exercise, practise, deliberately get it wrong and become confident in troubleshooting and fixing, then make samples on the fabrics types you work with and record the settings for your machine.

If you want to watch the videos that demonstrate the exercises in the workbook - see these videos here (Page 2 has the extra techniques eg. quilt as you go).  The focus is on the 1150MDA but much of the information and techniques is transferrable to other makes and models.

Alternatively here is a useful collection of Beginner Serger Tutorials (just get past the 'perky' voice).  It's like a course.  There are other collections, quite a good one is by an Australian and I think Jessie gave some links to those a while ago.

And, as the Brother 1034D has a different tension disk open/close system compared with other machines, this video shows how it's important to use the tension release buttons on the top of each thread path when threading.
On other machines, lift the presser foot to release/open the tension disks for threading.

So how about you band together into a sew-along type group and do the exercises?

wrenkins

« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
That's the workbook I downloaded and suggested to @Acorn a couple of pages ago. It looks good but so far mine is full of good intentions. So far I've sewn a total of about 5m :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2019, 13:34:54 PM »
Yes, I have that workbook downloaded and saved.  I haven't used it so far because I decided it was best to familiarise myself with my machine before trying to translate Bernina!  I do have a set of samples of the various types of seam and hem from my own manual, done in the four colours that match the colours on the machine for future reference, properly annotated on the fabric.

We (Lucy and I) have just made a t-shirt (Blank Slate Blanc T-shirt) - overlocked seams, and overlocked edges, then twin needle hemmed with my normal machine.  I would usually put a neckband on, but the cotton jersey I used has almost no stretch, so that wasn't going to work, and so I hemmed the neck.

Anyway, it has superb seams, and the hemming is much, much neater with the overlocked edges.  Unfortunately the twin needle stitching tunneled moderately badly, and even skipped a few stitches.  But that is a story for a different place, and one that I know has pretty much no solution.  It's a lot better now I've pressed it anyway.

So, TL;DR - delighted with the overlockers performance in making a t-shirt.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2019, 13:50:41 PM »
I must be very lucky.  I get my overlocker out, thread it with whatever colour I need, do a test seam on my fabric, (rarely need to adjust the tension or differential feed) use it and put it away again.  I've never had an issue with it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2019, 13:56:28 PM »
I'm sincerely hoping that mine's heading that way too @Ploshkin - so far so good anyway.

Nevis5

« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2019, 14:28:12 PM »
Must admit that my overlocker is like yours, too, @Ploshkin .  It's been great (apart from the pin incident which was hardly its fault).  I have a Babylock Imagine which I bought a few years ago - the first one I had was an Elna which was a bit more tricky to thread and get the tension right. I'm spoilt by the Babylock as all that stuff is pretty automatic  <3

Wouldn't be without mine. xx

Acorn

« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2019, 14:36:03 PM »
Having had such an easy time with the overlocking bit of my t-shirt, and then the usual trouble with my other machine's twin needle, I'm wondering about a coverlocker... I've found somewhere that appears to have the Britannia one in stock.  @Sewbusy - is yours this one - the CS4000? 

aprilla

« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2019, 15:15:06 PM »
Having had such an easy time with the overlocking bit of my t-shirt, and then the usual trouble with my other machine's twin needle, I'm wondering about a coverlocker... I've found somewhere that appears to have the Britannia one in stock.  @Sewbusy - is yours this one - the CS4000? 

LOL I was going to suggest it for you as I was reading along the posts, but you beat me to it! I've been thinking about one for a bit but an upcoming foreign wedding has taken my 'stash' so it's in the future.

Sewbusy

« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2019, 17:13:52 PM »
@Acorn  Yes, that's the one I have.

Gernella

« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2019, 10:19:32 AM »
I've had  two overlockers, the first the Janome 644D, a proper workhorse and once you got the hang of threading a piece of cake and the second, I had a yen for a Bernina (made by Juki I believe) and got the 1300MDC, which is great and has a needle threader.  It gets used every time I sew, and despite me forgetting to oil it after many hours use, it doesn't complain.  The Janome Coverstitch I have only gets used occasionally and if a choice of only one, it would have to be the Bernina. 

I suppose one that did  both would be good but I'm not complaining.  No maybe about it really, if you have the money you really need one.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included