The Sewing Place

Jewellery Making

Holly Berry

Jewellery Making
« on: April 16, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »
Does anyone make their own jewellery?

To continue getting through my stash, I have decided to adopt the Sudoko wardrobe planning. So, with one of the squares being accessories making my own jewellery to go with tops and bottoms is my new project for spending money  :|

This is my first attempt
Procrastination get behind me

Lowena

Re: Jewellery Making
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 15:13:33 PM »
I'm hoping to start when I've mastered the first step in the book of turning a neat hoop with the tiny pliers  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 15:35:32 PM »
I used to dabble in jewellery making - mostly those stretchy bracelets - and also made earrings, but there was never much demand for them even though I used real silver findings.  Lowena, a perfect turned loop takes lots of practice, but I used to go for good enough.  :D

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 16:36:48 PM »
I've only just started, but already found the same problem as dressmaking. It's the decision making process, as to what to put together. Once I get started though I am ok. I do find I'm a bit cack handed though with bending the wire and agree good enough will do :D

In time I would like to try enamelling and wire work. I always did like to run before I could walk!

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 23:07:57 PM »
Tried it, can't be doing with all the extra bits and planning and bead stash building, and storing all the stuff. Love to buy artisan jewellery though. <3
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 07:50:42 AM »
Now I do have a bead stash, Catllar.  0_0

Didi

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »
I make my own jewellery sometimes, silver bead stretchy bracelets are dead easy everyone got them for Christmas presents last year, I also hand knot pearls, use metal clay and do some simple chainmaille

The pictures below are a chainmaille bracelet in sterling silver with Amber a sort of calla Lily with a pearl in silver metal clay and a selection of stretchy bracelets along with a hand knotted peacock pearl bracelet which I did a matching necklace for

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 09:04:32 AM »
Your bracelets are lovely.  My most ambitious was

It was a lot of work and I only made two - sold one and kept the other for myself.  The stretchy ones are, indeed, easy to make except for tying the nylon knot tight enough.  I sold loads because I only used to charge a fiver and made nearly £100 in a charity refunding raising drive at work.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:16:26 AM by UttaRetch »

Snippet

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »
I dabbled with making jewellery for a while but didn't really have enough time for it so gave it up. I enjoyed it though, quite therapeutic (like most 'making' hobbies I guess)

I'm sure I've got a couple of books somewhere that might be of interest to someone. I'll have a look later.

Holly Berry

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
Love the necklace Didi. I'd like to make larger statement style jewellery, rather than strings of beads.

UT, love the colours of your bracelet.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
The stretchy bracelets look fun; I have 2 books but neither one features stretchy anything  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Holly Berry

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:06:38 AM »
I'm not sure bracelets are a good idea for me. I'd be forever catching them on something and beads would be cascading everywhere.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »
Books tend to focus on more ambitious techniques and projects.  The hardest thing about stretchy bracelets is pulling the knot tight enough so that it doesn't come undone.

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:12:40 AM by UttaRetch »

Didi

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »
I have a pyramid cushion I made for resting my iPad on to save neck strain when using it on my knee it's filled with polystyrene beads and is ideal for resting the bracelets on whilst knotting the elastic, a surgeons knot and a dab of glue and they are really secure

Francesca

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »
My Mum used to do beading, she used to make the tiniest little bags with beaded designs, so pretty!

I have a friend who is a jewellery maker and does the most gorgeous bracelets and necklaces using a technique called "Persian chainmaille" which consists of linking silver rings together in a certain way. She does "full Persian" and "half Persian", the half being flatter. I don't really know how she does it but I think the effect is beautiful and simple.

http://www.laurabrookesjewellery.com/shop/4589440707/full-persian-bracelet/9768972

She did one using oxidised silver as well as normal polished silver and because of the way she loops them together, it sort of blended the colours together  rather than having a hard line where one colour stops and another starts. One day I want one with silver and an inch of gold rings but I think the cost would be well into the £500s :(