The Sewing Place

Starting new set of dresses.

sewing in oz

Re: Starting new set of dresses.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »
 Look what's waiting for you once you've done the last little bit, catllar ...  :angel:

:gin:  :toast:  :cake:

Catllar

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 13:07:43 PM »
Aha - the old carrot and stick motivation!

I took 16 dresses in last night and came back with just 3 to alter - I think I'm winning! Get the lemons sliced!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 20:31:10 PM »
Finished this today.

Lilian

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 21:01:12 PM »
I "Like" that Catlar  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 23:06:43 PM »
Thanks Lilian. I'm pleased with it, the piping in the seams looks really good if I do say so myself! :)

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 12:20:43 PM »
OK so I went in to do final tweaks yesterday. One of my adolescent group - the brown suede stuff with white skirts was too short. Don't worry said all, it's only on for a few minutes. I've said the same thing myself but there for some reason it worried me - do you know what went through my head?  Someone sitting in the audience, handy with a machine sees all these girlies with correct length skirts and one short one is going to think - Whoever made those wasn't paying much attention to detail.

So today I spent 2 hours unpicking the skirt and the 2 layers of fringe and moving it all down 3cms.

Also I had little one ( well, in age at least) who has put on 9cms round her waist, 5 on her hips and 4 on her bust since christmas - unpick, unpick, unpick. Sigh.

Thirdly  need to turn a halter neck backless lycra dress into a high necked long sleeve job with no material apart from cutting up another dress to use the fabric, oh and dye a bit more fringe with my special builders' brew dye.

Lastly one more dress for our adult advanced group - a returner after illness, but can I put a zipper in the back of her top as she has a shoulder problem and can't lift her arm.

AND THEN IT IS ALL DONE.

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »
I think you are a magician.   :)  :drink:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 13:21:17 PM »
Phew, sounds like you've had your work cut out there! The mere mention of that brown suede fabric has set my teeth on edge again, let alone you unpicking it all and resewing the fringe. I'm with you on wanting to make it look like the rest though. I'd have done the same. Shows pride in your work, even if nobody else would have noticed. You can't take the risk, knowing its niggling, can you?
Hope the rest of it goes smoothly and they don't find you any more last minute tweaks to do.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

b15erk

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 15:37:45 PM »
I think you have amazing patience. I hope your fellow dancers realise how lucky they are!  :flower:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 16:32:50 PM »
It's nice to get some encouragement on here and to let off steam to people who understand.  :flower: <3 :flower:

So three out of four done - have got some fringe in the tea dye to finish off the halter to high neck and then that's finished.  The alteration was interesting but not as problematic as I'd thought it might be. I made up a quick simple stretch bodice block and grafted it onto the main dress just below the bust then cut away the original top.  Longest part was fighting with the overlocker and the really  shoddy material.

Just the last dress - well it's a top and skirt - to  do but that can wait till tomorrow.  Out for  :toast: :toast: :toast: in a mo with girlfriends - Friday night ritual.

Catllar

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 16:34:50 PM »
Phew, sounds like you've had your work cut out there! The mere mention of that brown suede fabric has set my teeth on edge again, let alone you unpicking it all and resewing the fringe..

Suzie  :vintage:

I know,  it's not got any better but it had to be done. Just wished I hadn't used matching thread to sew it all on in the first place - I usually use a contrast bobbin so I can see it more easily but not this time.

Catllar

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 13:22:42 PM »
Just one more skirt to make - I am going to do it  NOW. This very moment. Go on, off you go.......

F  I  N  I  S  H  E  D  :toast: :toast: :toast:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 19:11:46 PM by Catllar »

sewing in oz

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 06:47:49 AM »
 :gin:   :toast:  :gin:  :toast:   :gin:  :toast: and for good measure  :cake:  :drink:
Woohoo!

Vegegrow

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 07:19:35 AM »
Well-done Catlar..party time  0_0 :gin: :cake:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
Well done Cat!   <3 :flower:  I've only got one costume to make and I'm making a real meal of it  :|

(and it's not even difficult fabric!)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.