The Sewing Place

First time at Fabworks

Marniesews

First time at Fabworks
« on: June 13, 2019, 14:44:53 PM »
Just leaving Dewsbury and delighted we managed to call in at Fabworks en route to a Scottish holiday. They sell online but a poor substitute for the sensuousness of fabric feeling.

I can really see why so many rave about it and the staff are so lovely. We very nearly bought a huge leather hide -£110 but wonderful value for the most gorgeous ox-blood red with a super smooth mustard/tan suede back - all unbelievably soft and flexible. Smelt great too. Even my husband was tempted but we left it there this time.

I got some heavenly cotton jersey (so, so soft) for my growing grandson. He turned 13 only weeks ago but already topped 6' and on the brink of sleeves & body of the teen stuff being too short. I'm going to have to find time for all these lovely knits to start making tops & hoodies for him.

Now on the way to Blackpool's mecca of ballroom fabrics (Trim-it) for an emergency metre of flo orange lycra to finish a juvenile ballroom dress - yep, I've packed the sewing machines too.

Tomorrow is fabric free as far as buying but hopefully some nice textiles in the costume collection at the Bowes Museum. Remember it being good last time we went when my daughter was a child… in the 80's!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

Re: First time at Fabworks
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 15:18:29 PM »
Your not too far from me @Marniesews ...we often nip to Barney.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 19:58:41 PM »
Tomorrow is fabric free as far as buying but hopefully some nice textiles in the costume collection at the Bowes Museum. Remember it being good last time we went when my daughter was a child… in the 80's!
@Marniesews I'll give you a wave as you go along the A66 :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 21:33:53 PM »
Yes Fabworks is great, isn't it? Well worth frequent visits. I love going there. It's a short walk from the station though it's up hill.on the way back and I'm usually heavily laden by then. Their online shop is good too and it's genuinely next day delivery.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 23:43:29 PM »
Their online shop is good too and it's genuinely next day delivery.

I have peeked at it online before but wasn't as motivated for some reason, perhaps because I really wanted to visit but now I've been there I think I'll be keeping a closer eye.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.