The Sewing Place

Butterick B6028

b15erk

Butterick B6028
« on: June 13, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
B6028 Butterick

Received this in the post yesterday, and I was really looking forward to making a different style of work trousers, and maybe a matching blouse.

Unfortunately, the first disappointment was that the pattern is just for the trousers.   :(  I still liked the style though, so went on to Pattern Review to see what the ladies there had to say.  I was a bit crushed to find that it wasn't a ringing endorsement...

The main criticism seems to be that the pattern runs very big - particularly round the thighs.  Not promising, but there also seems to be a construction problem around the zip.  Hmmm.

Not sure what to do here, make a toile and see how it goes, or just sell it on and look for something else.

Anyone made this?  If so, what are your thoughts?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

Re: Butterick B6028
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 09:29:32 AM »
The trousers don’t look anything special.... the shirt is nice. The shirt pattern is available, I’d buy that and sell the trouser one.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
@Efemera , I think I was looking at the whole ensemble (the yellow outfit), and lost sight of the fact that the trousers were elasticated.  :(

I'll go and have a look for the blouse pattern...

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
Jessie,
I have the shirt pattern- B6026 - and love it! I’ve made it twice, the first was in a very busy print, cotton lawn. I like it but the main feature if the pintucks is completely lost. The second in a plain fabric is my favourite shirt. I will see if I have any photos. The tip I would give on this is to stabilise the area of the pintucks otherwise they go wavy - ask me how I know!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »
@Fabric Lover , thank you for the pattern number!  Good to have a positive opinion.  I have a feeling I may already have this pattern, I must have a look.  You didn't by any chance make the trousers did you? 

Jessie

Fabric Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:51:44 AM »
Jessie,
I have the shirt pattern- B6026 - and love it! I’ve made it twice, the first was in a very busy print, cotton lawn. I like it but the main feature if the pintucks is completely lost. The second in a plain fabric is my favourite shirt. I will see if I have any photos. The tip I would give on this is to stabilise the area of the pintucks otherwise they go wavy - ask me how I know!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 09:54:15 AM »
The first one isn’t a cotton lawn actubut a Liberty cotton  cotton lawn actually, but a Liberty cotton.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 09:55:28 AM »
@Fabric Lover , thank you for the pattern number!  Good to have a positive opinion.  I have a feeling I may already have this pattern, I must have a look.  You didn't by any chance make the trousers did you? 

Jessie
No I don’t have the trousers pattern sorry!

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
@Fabric Lover , both of them are lovely!  I've just been online and bought the pattern - to hell with the expense!

Thank you!

Jessie

Holly Berry

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »
I’ve recently made this too. I started a thread as I need to do a FBA. If you need to do one I’ll talk you through it as you have to alter the length at the back and reposition the pin tucks.

I agree with @Fabric Lover, make in a plain fabric as the pin tucks will be lost. I love the style and will make more. It’s very flattering and I’ve had some lovely comments.
Procrastination get behind me

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
That's lovely @Holly Berry , I like your fabric.  It does seem to show the pin tucks to better advantage using a plain fabric.

Jessie

Fabric Lover

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 13:19:53 PM »
Your shirt is lovely @ Holly Berry.

The first photo I posted of this shirt was before buttons and buttonholes had been added, so this is the finished article.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 13:24:46 PM »
Your blouse is beautiful @Fabric Lover .  I'm going to join the club shortly, I managed to find a copy on FB, and it's on its way to me!

Big smiley face here!  :)

Jessie

Holly Berry

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 14:22:05 PM »
@Fabric Lover , it’s lovely.

I used some variegated machine embroidery cotton for the top stitching. I also made one in Ivory and used a salmon coloured sulky thread on that. It really makes the pintucks stand out.
Procrastination get behind me

Fabric Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 22:07:35 PM »
@Fabric Lover , it’s lovely.

I used some variegated machine embroidery cotton for the top stitching. I also made one in Ivory and used a salmon coloured sulky thread on that. It really makes the pintucks stand out.

Great idea!