The Sewing Place

Steampunk ?

crafter

Steampunk ?
« on: June 14, 2019, 13:23:25 PM »
Going to a Steampunk fancy dress party at the end of the month.  I was going to make a denim corset but when I look online, it doesn't seem that denim is used very much.  Is denim a no, no.  Any Steampunk experts want to offer any advice?

sewingj

Re: Steampunk ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 13:25:42 PM »
@DementedFairy   is your girl

maliw

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 15:23:41 PM »
DF is lost under a mountain of Oz costumes at the moment, hopefully she will work her way out and see this thread.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 16:27:51 PM »
Not an expert but as it's based on Victoriana, I would think of fabrics from that era. Pictures I've seen show mainly silky type fabrics and brocade.

Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sewbusy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 17:10:54 PM »
Don't really know too much about steampunk fashion although I have seen some lovely example, both male and female. Always seem to be predominantly black fabrics albeit some decorative and pleating occurs often.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 17:51:45 PM »
@DementedFairy

Paging the Faaaaiiirrryyyy ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 21:25:39 PM »
How about a Google image search or a Pinterest search for Steampunk and see what you get.
My feeling is its Victoriana with more technology

https://www.google.com/search?q=womens+steampunk+outfit&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBmJ6H5-niAhUIQxUIHWLZD3QQ_AUIESgC&biw=1694&bih=991#imgrc=n8uQIUe_vjb3YM:

Lorenaserafina

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 11:20:29 AM »
Simplicity Arkivestry patterns are good for Steampunk :-)

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 21:30:27 PM »
Black denim? best of both worlds!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 21:40:41 PM »
Here's one. Go for it!

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 00:11:32 AM »
Didst someone summon me?
Steampunk is anything and everything you fancy, styled with imagination.  LOADS of brown, but more and more people breaking THAT boring mould and going mental [like wot I do]
Having said that, denim isn't firmly woven enough for a really good corset, better to go for coutil if you want serious shaping, but if it's just for a fun outside layer, go for it.

The costumes are done, dress and tech rehearsals on Monday and Tuesday, shows on Wednesdays and Thursday so I will resurface soon...just in time for the heaviest part of exam marking season! [And I'm trying not to lose my temper at idiot drama teachers who add extra people into the cast  at the eleventh hour...guess what ladies, I asked you to confirm numbers four weeks ago FOR A REASON.  I don't bend.  Additional cast members can go in uniform for all I care]
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 20:18:52 PM »
DF, will you come and have a word with some of our students please ? Our show is on Saturday and I had another one pop out the woodwork today - grrrrr, however .... I have no more fabric so that's a shame isn't it ... but it's that bloody sense of entitlement that gets me. Do I have nothing else to do with my life but wait for these princes to decide whether they want to dance or not ??
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 21:19:55 PM »
Just say no.  And then stick to it.  They have to know they can't fuck you about! :ninja: :fish: :S :devil:
C'est moi!

Lollipop

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 13:31:25 PM »
@Catllar how on earth can the teacher choreograph a routine when pupils decide a week before a show whether or not they will dance?? I think its great that you have no fabric left - decision made  ;)
Was Sewnanny

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 16:13:24 PM »
As I understand it, the core ethos of steampunk is, what if the plastics revolution never happened?  So lots of leather and brass precision engineering instead.  Makes me think we might be back in that zone if we are to wean ourselves off fossil fuels!

The movie that really kicked of the SP fad (and drove Sean Connery so demented he retired) was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Try Simplicity 8114 & 2172 or google images of "steampunk clothing patterns" - there are loads to choose from!