The Sewing Place

Simple doll clothes for toddler play

WendyW

Simple doll clothes for toddler play
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:13:07 AM »
I've been busy this week making doll clothes for my just turned 3yrs granddaughter. The doll shown here lives at my house. She was adopted from a garage sale specially for Sami. Now she's living the good life with a personal seamstress and a custom wardrobe!

All the dresses/tops I made this week are reversible. On this scale it's easier to line than otherwise finish the arm and neck openings, and if you're going to line them, it's just as easy to make it reversible instead.

A play outfit. 
cherries and jeans by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Reverse side of the top.
red top by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

And a dress.
pink dress by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

brown dress by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:22:50 AM by WendyW »

WendyW

Re: Simple doll clothes for toddler play
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:17:29 AM »
This batch are for Sami's favorite doll. Same height as the doll above, but MUCH different proportions. These clothes are huge on the above dolly.

This dress might be a little overkill for a 3yo's plaything, but I was in the mood to make something fancy. The lace is sewn down on all edges except at the hem.
Stella dress 2 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

And its reverse side.
Stella dress 1 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

And of course a dolly must have jammies for going to bed!
Stella pjs by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:23:23 AM by WendyW »

WendyW

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:21:03 AM »
This whole collection began with testing an 18" pattern for dresses to sell. I don't think I'll make more of these unless they sell quickly. Very simple and quick, but not the level of workmanship or prettiness than I really want to put my name on.

3 dresses 1 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

3 dresses 2 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

fajita

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »
What a lovely collection of dolly clothes. Your g,daughter is a lucky, lucky girl.

Good make!

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 08:29:03 AM »
Lovely stuff... my DD has this.
https://clothkits.co.uk/products/1970s-original-clothkits-rag-doll-sewing-kit-kitty-blue

You made the doll and all the clothes. My SIL made it for her when she was around 3... DD is now 38 and she still has the doll and all her clothes.

It’s still available after all these years, it must have been a best seller.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »
Lucky dolly and lucky g/daughter   :frock:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
What gorgeous outfits. :D

WendyW

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 08:53:25 AM »
@Efemera, funny you should post that. I was just looking at this kit last night. Very good odds that this might end up under Sami's Christmas tree when she's old enough.

Phoebe & Egg sewing kit

Ann

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »
@WendyW, cute outfits for you DGD's dolls. I love Phoebe & Egg's website. I do have a collection of their patterns to make.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

BayCreekGal

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 23:47:52 PM »
You've made an adorable wardrobe for your granddaughter's doll, WendyW.  It's a very good idea to take into consideration ease of dress when making things for a young girl.  Otherwise they can get frustrated trying to change the outfits.  I totally agree about lining the dresses and tops at this scale.  And making them reversible gives you two for one.  You can't beat that.

Dawn