The Sewing Place

Preserving a favourite pattern with iron on interfacing

SewRuthieSews

Preserving a favourite pattern with iron on interfacing
« on: June 15, 2019, 15:44:24 PM »
I've got some cheap iron on interfacing and my favourite pattern which I rebought because it was getting really tatty.
I'd like to preserve the pattern by ironing interfacing onto it as I recalled someone suggesting it.
Does it work and if so how is it best to approach it?

I know in the US there's some approach using baking paper that is somehow different to UK baking paper. However I've never found any of that so wanted to try interfacing.

Ploshkin

Re: Preserving a favourite pattern with iron on interfacing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 16:37:06 PM »
Is it freezer paper they use because that can be ironed onto things - it's used quite a bit in quilting
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 17:08:40 PM »
Freezer paper is coated with wax which melts with the heat of an iron and will form a temporary bond with fabric, but it is easy to peel off so not suitable for preserving the pattern in this way.

Not all fusible interfacings are created equal.  IME the cheaper ones don't adhere as well as the better brands (Vilene).  Whilst that doesn't generally matter once it's sewn into a a garment,  for extendng the life of a favourite pattern it might not work very well.  Try fusing a decent size sample of pattern tissue to your interfacing and see how well it holds up and when foldes, unfolded moved around etc.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 20:54:11 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 17:38:07 PM »
Is there a reason you can't just trace the pattern and keep the original pristine? I'd have thought Swedish tracing paper or similar would give you a robust copy that would last years.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 17:57:18 PM »
@Vezeley, I suspect only sheer laziness. :-)

@Kwaaked thanks for the tutorial. It answered my question that I do need something else (baking paper, ironing cloth) to protect iron from the fusible.

@Ploshkin, of course Freezer Paper, something I never find in normal life in the UK.

@ BrendaP, not got any so won't use it!
I was wondering about using the generic interfacing because it wasn't as good in garments as the Vilene (a certain cardboardiness, though I suppose that could be good in bags....)

I will let you know how I get on with it.

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 21:08:23 PM »
I used fusible interfacing on my DHs TNT shirt pattern and it’s worked well so far.

I bought some lovely checked cotton from Fabworks so will be using it again soon.

The stuff I used was as cheap as chips but I just treated it gently and it worked fine.