The Sewing Place

Where, How and Why do you buy fabric?

elisep

Re: Where, How and Why do you buy fabric?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 13:33:49 PM »
What a fun topic!

Where - either from theremnantwarehouse.com.au online, Darn Cheap Fabrics, Rathdowne Fabric & Remnants or The Fabric Store - all are independant fabric stores, all of them carry unique fabrics, often end-bolts from designers. If I need a lining, plain cotton or something like that, I buy from Spotlight (chain store). I mostly use Spotlight for haberdashery and patterns.

How - generally if I see a fabric that speaks to me in some way, or I just immediately love it! Then I decide what to make from it. Less frequently I go out looking for fabric for a specific project, eg if I have a wedding to attend etc.

Why - I definitely have a bit of a shopping addiction, just mine is fabric and not shoes! I also have a "thing" for silk & wool fabrics... if I see one I like, I buy it, even if I don't know what I'd do with it! I get my inspiration from clothes I see on people around me, in movies and tv etc. I often try to recreate clothes I've seen on TV, or at least put my spin on it!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Tamnymore

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 14:34:11 PM »
Where: Abakhan, The Fent Shop and Shufflebothams (these 2 are in Macclesfield), Fabworks in Dewsbury (love that shop), Leeds Market, Fabric Focus and The Cloth Shop (these 2 are in Edinburgh), Edgeley Fabrics Stockport), Standfast and Barracks in Lancaster, John Lewis but only in the sale, Fabric Guild (online), The Textile Centre (online) Fabfabricsbymaggie (eBay) and other occasional forays into fabric shops in London or wherever but a lot online, including a lot on (ahem) eBay.

How: I'm sometimes looking for something for a specific project but I do impulse buy.

Why: Yes I think it is a bit of an addiction if I'm honest. I have to make some inroads into the stash or I'll never ever clear it. There are still bargains to be had and they are often to be found on eBay.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 14:37:42 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 14:59:16 PM »
I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread so I better put in my two cents worth
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 15:13:14 PM by Sewbee »