The Sewing Place

Eau de Panic

fajita

Re: Eau de Panic
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 16:07:34 PM »
It's still sitting there, untouched. Looking at me. Daring me. I'm turning my head away and ignoring it. There's a whole week yet.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 16:37:33 PM »
 :D :D :D

Talk about living on the edge!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 18:20:54 PM »
I think we've all had Eau de Panic at one time or another and not necessarily connected to sewing.  I suspect if it were me,  it would probably be Eau de Fear extra strength, for I wouldn't know where to start, well I would, I'd ring my niece up, she does them all the time but then I'm a coward.

That is a truly gorgeous dress though. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Missie

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 18:46:23 PM »
Back in 2001 I made my daughter-in-law's wedding dress from B5542. Got it fitting just right and it was left at our house. Then didn't see her in the 3 weeks approaching the wedding. Unfortunately, she had decided that she needed to be thinner and spent the 3 weeks dieting. Result - dress gaping horribly and no time whatsoever to do anything about it.

My sister-in-laws sister did that.  I'd made 4 boned bodices.  Final fit 2 weeks before the wedding and her sister had been dieting, which I knew about, so her final fit needed quite a bit of adjusting.  She was told not to lose anymore weight and she agreed.  Got to the wedding and she'd lost more weight and her top didn't fit her, it was all gaping and looked awful.  I was devastated (mind the other 3 looked gorgeous!)

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 18:54:56 PM »
Got it fitting just right and it was left at our house. Then didn't see her in the 3 weeks approaching the wedding. Unfortunately, she had decided that she needed to be thinner and spent the 3 weeks dieting. Result - dress gaping horribly and no time whatsoever to do anything about it.

A good few years ago I had a friend who took on the occasional commission to make wedding dresses and she once told me that she'd never known a bride who didn't loose weight between first and final fittings.

Last year Meghan Markle's dress looked as though she had done the same.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Missie

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 19:13:55 PM »
You could pick up a tip or two from Mrs Mole’s blog, she has been altering wedding dresses for many years.

https://fitforaqueen.wordpress.com

Just had a quick look at this blog and the fit of the dress in the last picture of today's post is terrible, so unflattering.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 16:03:55 PM »
I think what people are advising @fajita is that whatever changes you make, come the wedding day she will have lost weight and it won't fit her anyway. So don't bother  :devil:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Kwaaked

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 16:57:22 PM »
I have a small fortune in bridal alteration books, so if you need help on something obscure, I can hunt it down.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcXMGAm6Cx72kveyt9P6pBw is a bridal alteration channel. 

@Missie that dress is a gal not wearing foundation garments and wanting the cups to do the lift work. The top is overly tight to get the decolletage, and the skirt is loose to skim the belly and not fold into the waist.  The boning in these dresses is plastic and so if she pulled the waist tighter, the boning wouldn't really hold up and with heat of wearing, the plastic can warp and do funny things.

@BrendaP all my brides this year did not fit that mold.  I actually had one between fittings I had to redo the darts because she gained.

All of the brides I worked with this year wore no foundation garments, and while most took my recommendation to buy a good fitting bra, I had one that did not.  These were not sample size girls...I had to buy one dress form that adjusted (my personal one is a size 14, easy enough to pad to a 16 or 18 US sizing) that worked for a couple of girls, most were between the US sizing 22-26.  All of them made a statement that if they were going to have the dress they wanted, they were going to be comfortable wearing it and did not want to wear anything under it. 

Which is cool and all, but it can lead to some of the dresses not looking as we would expect.

Samantha

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 17:20:38 PM »
I didn't lose weight, in fact I can distinctly remember my sister saying to me 'are you sure this fits' as she tried to do it up  0_0 (she managed it.) Definitely doesn't fit now though!!

DementedFairy

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 22:14:39 PM »
Eau d'ear?
C'est moi!

fajita

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 00:25:51 AM »
It is done now as much as it's going to get done. Shoulder straps shortened, diamanté belt added. I'll double check YouTube on what to do with the very very long straps once you get to the bottom of the back lacing.

I've cut the lengths of fabric for the chair backs.

For me I have three dresses and four pairs of shoes. Think I'm covered for all eventualities.

Now just to sort out my hip area which caused me so much pain at sports day I had to beg painkillers and go sit in a classroom.

Missie

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 15:16:53 PM »
I have a small fortune in bridal alteration books, so if you need help on something obscure, I can hunt it down.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcXMGAm6Cx72kveyt9P6pBw is a bridal alteration channel. 

@Missie that dress is a gal not wearing foundation garments and wanting the cups to do the lift work. The top is overly tight to get the decolletage, and the skirt is loose to skim the belly and not fold into the waist.  The boning in these dresses is plastic and so if she pulled the waist tighter, the boning wouldn't really hold up and with heat of wearing, the plastic can warp and do funny things.

I've made and adjusted plenty of boned bodices, whilst what you say may be correct, it is down the person altering the dress to make it look good and like it fits.  I certainly wouldn't put that on my blog, nor would it encourage me to go to her.  It looks awful!

Margarita

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 18:30:43 PM »
I've made and adjusted plenty of boned bodices, whilst what you say may be correct, it is down the person altering the dress to make it look good and like it fits.  I certainly wouldn't put that on my blog, nor would it encourage me to go to her.  It looks awful!

Do you have a blog where we can see some samples of your work?

Missie

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 18:56:59 PM »
Do you have a blog where we can see some samples of your work? 

Sorry @Margarita, I don't have one, I meant if I had a blog I wouldn't put it on there :|

Margarita

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 19:24:43 PM »
Sorry @Margarita, I don't have one, I meant if I had a blog I wouldn't put it on there :|

Oh, that's too bad. I don't have a blog either.