The Sewing Place

Singer Featherweight 221.

Lizzy777

Re: Singer Featherweight 221.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 08:31:23 AM »
I am in the US, I wasn't linking for you to buy, just what the plug should look like.  As far as I remember, you guys have different wall sockets then we do, type G I believe to our A and different voltage (homes here are 110 to 220 I think you guys have).

I didn't do it on my featherweight, but I routinely fix cords by splicing them to plug into the wall or a foot pedal.  I did it on an Elna who was $150 to replace the controller, so I spliced an older gas pedal one to it.  Happens frequently when repairing old machines...too many plugs and not enough working.

Thank you for the information Kwaaked. I wasn't too sure whether you could just attach a new plug to the old cable but it seems to be a relatively easy thing to do and I shall  an electrician to do that for me. 

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 08:33:23 AM »
Just be aware that the colour coding of the wiring probably won’t be the modern blue (neutral) and brown (live), but old black (neutral) and red (live).

Thank you for this information. I have decided to ask an electrician to do it for me. I don't even know if the machine works yet? Hope it does.

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 08:34:40 AM »
The other place to try if you need spares is Sewlincs
He often posts in the Vintage Singer Sewing Machines UK group on FaceBook and seems to hold a lot of spare parts.

Thank you for the information Brenda. I shall have a look on there today. Do you happen to know anyone who services these machines too?

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 08:37:37 AM »
I just had my Featherweight serviced, and as part of the service, he replaced the cord and reattached the plug.  So perhaps see if you can find a appliance electrician who can rewire a plug for you.  Its a shame the lady cut the plug off, as the original plug would help it maintain its value as an antique.

Yes, I have decided to use an electrician to wire the plug for me just to be on the safe side. Yes, it was the Manager of the Charity shop. They aren't allowed to see an electrical appliance with an old plug on, so they chop them off? What I didn't quite understand was that she said it had been pat tested? With an old plug and then chopped off the old plug?
Anyways, I'm not complaining too much as it was totally clear in their window that they were selling ti with no plug so it wasn't misleading. Would have been nice to have had the old plug though.

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 08:44:36 AM »
The wall plug is not a big deal to replace and will take any qualified electrician (or sewing machine technician) about 10 minutes to do. You can do it yourself, but if you don't regularly work with electicity it's worthwhile to pay a qualified person. They will already have a plug that will work, no need to order anything special.

Thank you. Yes, I've decided to do that and think it is a good idea.

It would be nice to have the original plug...call the shop and ask it they have already thrown it out, and if not go over and retrieve it. (Just for collector's value...the new plug is a really a better one to use.)

It would have been nice to have had the old plug but there is no chance of retrieving it unfortunately.

The white featherweights are fairly rare...you've got a gem. Read up ...

I don't have a white one. Just the black one. It is Efferma who has a white one.

I can't post links but cut and paste this and add https:// to the beginning

singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/the-white-featherweight-221k

Yes, I saw this site and had a read up of a few things on there. I like the white one too but if it is that rare it would probably be quite difficult to buy now at a reasonable price? I like my new machine though. She is tiny in comparison to my existing machine.

lizzy

Holly Berry

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 11:04:23 AM »
I would definitely get a qualified electrician to take a look at the wiring inside too. Take the oil drip plate off. It probably needs a good clean under there anyway. There are some really good videos on the internet.

They mostly have rubber insulation which perishes over time. Mine looked like all the wiring was plastered in oil, it was in fact sticky rubber. They also have a large capacitor underneath which was necessary in the days of radio to stop interference. These can now be removed. Definitely get the wiring checked. Also depending on the foot pedal, there may be a capacitor in there too. These can be the main cause of the sewing machine starting itself.

I love mine and it sews beautifully. Enjoy
Procrastination get behind me

Kwaaked

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 14:26:09 PM »
Nice thing about older mechanical machines, they can all get running again for the most part.

I have 2 FWs...one from 1938 that is in pristine condition except for the case, and needed a new bobbin winder when I got it (the wire was missing to hold the bobbin...not much of an issue, the part is the same on all of them).  This is the machine I use when brides add on my delivery, dressing and repair service for their weddings...I take it just in case something happens to the dresses.  The other is from 1953 and needed work.  It took me about 6 hours to get it running and un-froze and cleaned, now I need to a new plug myself to make it run.

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 15:48:10 PM »
Thank you for the information Brenda. I shall have a look on there today. Do you happen to know anyone who services these machines too?

lizzy

When I had a problem with mine I took it to the local man - I'm just dreading the day when he decides to retire.  I think the guy from Sewlincs does sevicing, but then there's the problem of getting it there and back.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

StitchinTime

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 16:12:38 PM »
@Lizzy777 I see from your profile that you are in Cheshire. Depending on whereabouts in Cheshire, Bambers in Eccles might be an option for servicing. I had a vintage Bernina repaired and serviced by them recently and am very pleased with it. I know they service and repair featherweights as I asked if they could look at a 222k I have. They won't commit to a price without checking over the machine but will phone you with the costs once they know what will be involved and what parts (if any) are needed. There is no cost for looking at the machine and giving a quote, but you will have to leave it with them and collect it later whatever you decided to do.

Alternatively, Jaycotts in Chester offer servicing (but I've not used them) and I remember seeing a sewing machine shop in Macclesfield (Phil Morton sewing), but I think this might be more in @Tamnymore 's neck of the woods so she might have more information on this shop.

Edited - here are links for the shops mentioned:
https://www.bambersew.com/service--repairs-4-w.asp
https://jaycotts.co.uk/
http://www.philmortonsewingmachines.co.uk/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 16:15:53 PM by StitchinTime »

Tamnymore

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 16:20:04 PM »
I've not used Phil Morton's in Macclesfield but I think he has serviced some of the machines in my textiles class and I seem to remember my textiles tutor though he was OK. I got my machine serviced in a local shop which had a visiting repair man for the day which I think possibly was Bob Green from Widnes. If it's not him then Bob Green from Widnes certainly gets good reviews and he is a mobile repair person so might be a possibility.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

StitchinTime

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 16:29:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, @Tamnymore - Bob Green serviced an old Pfaff of mine many years ago, but I'd lost his details. According to Google, he is now based at the Sewing Shop in Bromborough, Wirral.

b15erk

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 16:31:07 PM »
A bit late to this, but I think I read on FB that Bob is poorly.  I looked him up because I needed one of my machines serviced.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lizzy777

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 17:37:17 PM »
Thank you so much for all the information. Will reply to each new poster a bit later BUT I think I may have a problem with this machine? I never checked the motor when I bought it and after reading everyones posts and looking at some sites online, I thought I better check what voltage the power is on the motor just to be on the safe side. I hadn't checked it before as the lady in the shop said it had been PAT tested and she had, had, the sewing machine running ok before she cut the plug off? I thought strange she cut the plug off in view of those comments but I was so happy getting the machine I wasn't as cautious as I am usually.

Anyway, the motor states 110V. So that means I can't use it then? Does it mean a new motor? I don't know what is required to make it work here? I don't even know how they managed to get the machine running in the shop?

I know I can take it back and get a refund as they have offered to do that. But I love this machine but obviously if it is going to cost a fortune to be able to use her then it's too much for me.

Any advice at all on this situation?  What could I do/what would you do?

Thanks,

lizzy
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 18:34:58 PM by Lizzy777 »

Lizzy777

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2019, 20:31:49 PM »