The Sewing Place

Singer Featherweight 221.

StitchinTime

Re: Singer Featherweight 221.
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2019, 20:50:43 PM »
If you are not too bothered about maintain integrity the original condition of the machine, the motor  and foot pedal could be replaced which would also solve the problem of any dodgy internal wiring. I don’t know if the light can be rewired, but they are not that bright and do get rather hot.
https://www.bsk.co.uk/ydk-sewing-machine-motorfoot-control-2456-p.asp

Efemera

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 21:07:10 PM »
You can get LED replacement light bulbs...I have them in both of mine.

Lizzy777

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 21:45:10 PM »
The wiring on the machine is in excellent order and the plug going into the machine is like new. Just the power plug was chopped off.

I'm wondering if the motor has been damaged because I spoke to the lady in the shop today and she has confirmed the following again to me.

1. She plugged it in and tried the machine and it worked ok before she cut the plug off?
Surely plugging in the machine (which is 110V into a 230V socket) must have damaged the motor?).

2. She said it was PAT tested too.

But she also told me on Tuesday that she doesn't do the PAT tests herself but someone else does them?
So surely the PAT test would have shown it was a 110V motor?

My quandary is this. I can take it back and she will refund me no problem. If I keep it and get a transformer and plug it in and the motor has been damaged then I would have to buy another motor and they look quite expensive too. I would want a similar motor on it.  And I would have paid out for a transformer and wasted my money if I do have to take it back.

3. All the feet and lots of spare needles are in the tray that fits int he box. I have till Sunday to decide what to do?

4. I'd like a featherweight but think it best probably to wait and get a GB made one?

Do existing owners find they need to replace their motors? Or do the motors last some time? This machine is 1949.

I'm so disappointed. Have had to pack her away -<

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 21:46:37 PM »
You can get LED replacement light bulbs...I have them in both of mine.

Thanks @Efemera . That's good to know.

Efemera

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2019, 21:49:00 PM »
It depends on what you paid...

Lizzy777

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 22:05:17 PM »
It depends on what you paid...

It was £50. it's in a good condition but some of the decals at the front are worn. the case is ok but not perfect but good enough. Musty smell inside the case but it will go away when aired.

Kwaaked

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 22:13:11 PM »
Well, I'll tell you this on price:

I paid about £300 for my good one and £200 for the one that needs work.  And for the condition, I got a good deal on them.  I have a buyer for the one that needs to be worked on, and after redoing the work and paying for a replica case and plug (about £100) plus what I paid, I'll still make £150 on it.

You guys may be a lot different, but they are very high in general to buy.  At £50 I would have jumped and replaced everything because buying one in good, working condition here is usually well over £400-600.

Editing to point out that I also got none of the accessories with mine at all. 

Lizzy777

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 22:39:47 PM »
Well, I'll tell you this on price:

I paid about £300 for my good one and £200 for the one that needs work.  And for the condition, I got a good deal on them.  I have a buyer for the one that needs to be worked on, and after redoing the work and paying for a replica case and plug (about £100) plus what I paid, I'll still make £150 on it.

You guys may be a lot different, but they are very high in general to buy.  At £50 I would have jumped and replaced everything because buying one in good, working condition here is usually well over £400-600.

Editing to point out that I also got none of the accessories with mine at all.

Yes I know they are more expensive @Kwaaked but it hasn't got a GB motor and I don't know enough about these things to see if and how you can do something with it. I'm not really into repairing and sorting out vintage machines. It's not my forte so to speak. I know its cheaper but if it doesn't work at all it would just end up being an ornament and I don't really want that. If I could find someone to service it and check it out etc at a reasonable cost then I would keep it perhaps?

Still undecided about this atm. But appreciate your post on this. I have looked on ebay etc here (UK sites) and there are a few up for sale. They are selling GB made ones though.

Lizzy
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 23:40:16 PM by Lizzy777 »

Roger

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 22:51:45 PM »
Hi Lizzy,

I do have a spare US plug (nightmare to get in the UK), and you can get a 'step down' transformer for as little as 20 quid on ebay, so all may not be lost.  This is the set up I use on my 500a.

However a 503a I picked up a while back has had the motor converted - I tried to run it at the correct voltage and it was sluggish and unusable... which meant I had to rewire the plug again.

If youre interested I'd be happy to help.

R.

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Lizzy777

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 23:37:07 PM »
Hi Roger,

Thank you. That's really kind of you and I would welcome any help at all.  I'll take the machine out of her box tomorrow and have another good look at her and see what's what as I haven't really examined her too much yet. I am not sure what a 500a or 503a is?

Lizzy

Efemera

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »
For £50 I’d keep it...you wouldn’t lose money if you decided to resell.

Lizzy777

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2019, 09:28:08 AM »
For £50 I’d keep it...you wouldn’t lose money if you decided to resell.

Where would you be able to resell it though? I have been looking on ebay uk and some other sites and the ones I have seen for sale all appear to have been made in Great Britain and have the GB motor?

Do you think someone in the UK would buy it if I put it up for sale as it is at present?

lizzy

Efemera

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2019, 09:53:46 AM »
Yes...as I say you only need a transformer to use it. Most Featherweights go for around £150-£300 maybe more if it’s a 222K

bessc

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2019, 10:12:13 AM »
I agree with Roger (and others) You put a US plug on the thing, get a step down transformer...and the machine will work fine in the UK (with the transformer) and will also work fine in the USA and Canada (without the transformer).

When you are ready, this machine will appeal to a wide range of potential buyers...and you'll make a profit.

I have a Swiss made Bernina, with a US motor and plug, and use it on European current with a transformer. No problems. 

coffeeandcake

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2019, 20:51:32 PM »
Well I certainly wouldn't have any issues using it with a transformer. I've had several 110V appliances, large and small and used them this way. I think it would be important to find out what the seller plugged it  into, though because it is easy to damage the motor if too high a voltage was used.