The Sewing Place

Novum Mark III

aprilla

Novum Mark III
« on: June 19, 2019, 22:10:57 PM »
My DIL thought she'd like to try my sewing machine and I was delighted, I don't know anyone who sews.... But then I thought... we can't both sew at the same time (uh oh) so it prompted me to search out my late mother's machine and see how it fared after over 30 years in the attic.
Plugged it in and the light switched on. Impressed.
Pressed the foot pedal, not so impressed... So I gave it a quick wipe down and a (good) bit of oil and put it away for a soak. I took it out today and gave it a real good clean up, pressed the foot pedal and wow! Very impressed!!

The solid, smooth feeling while sewing with this machine is so hard to describe. I like my new Janome but yikes! the Novum, it's really lovely. So glad I resurrected it. I'd often thought of it but I didn't want to face the disappointment of it being in bad shape or the problems of finding a service for it. But it just sat there waiting to be used again.   <3

I'm presuming this is a vintage machine. It's got a timber base, is all metal (weighs a ton) and does straight stitch or reverse stitch. I can't find any date information on it but I have sourced a manual which has no cover and no date information.

<3 <3

Ohsewsimple

Re: Novum Mark III
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 11:30:51 AM »
Ooh Novum, nice machine.  Enjoy.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 11:43:24 AM »
Pleased you got your mum's machine working. What a feeling of absolute pleasure that must bring to you when you sew with it :loveit:

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »
I have a November and it’s a lovely machine, mine is slightly younger about 1979.

Novum’s were made by Janome, but badged as Novum or New Home to make them appear less Japanese and more sellable to after the War
Procrastination get behind me

aprilla

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 12:20:03 PM »
Oh that's interesting @Holly Berry. When I was researching, looking for information and availability of parts, I did see them referenced with both New Home and Janome but didn't understand the how's or why's. I'm glad to know this now as if and when I need anything for it I'll not be confused by the different names.

I don't have a date for mine. It was bought new, maybe around or after 1972, but that's a guess based on where we were living. And it may or may not have been a new model at the time. I've had a look around but am not finding anything to date it. Do you know how you have one for yours?

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 14:04:15 PM »
I only know it’s around that time because I got it as a 21st birthday present and it was brand new  0_0

If you need parts I use   https://www.sewingparts.co.uk/novum.html.  Mines the Novum 5000. It’s a good little machine.  There’s a picture of your’s on his website. If you email him, he may be able to give you some info about it.
Procrastination get behind me

aprilla

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 20:26:51 PM »
Thanks @Holly Berry - that's the site I found when I was worried about the motor and looked to source one. I'm glad to know you use the site, good to know. I'll have a browse and see if there's anything that would be useful. I think I might get a new bobbin case for it, it's working but I can't get it shiny clean so a new one would just be nice. I can ask about the machine at that time.
It's pictured at Novum Mark III