The Sewing Place

Last of the stash busters

Lowena

Last of the stash busters
« on: April 17, 2017, 17:50:08 PM »
I had several leftover 5" fabric squares. I decided to do something quick and easy with them, so they would be gone and I would be truly minimalist at last  :D
I have made the top but it is not sandwiched or quilted yet. I'm quite pleased with it as I couldn't think of any other quick way to use up the florals.

Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

Re: Last of the stash busters
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 17:58:10 PM »
Very pretty.

I decided to do something quick and easy with them, so they would be gone and I would be truly minimalist at last  :D
  I find this very hard to understand, but I admire your approach.  :D

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 18:23:28 PM »
Thank you Pearl, I can feel my blood pressure dropping as I look at the quilt and survey the empty container  :D :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 18:49:48 PM »
I find this very hard to understand

Don't worry, Pearl, it's just her way. She can't help it.... ;)

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 20:18:36 PM »
Lovely quilt, Lowena!

I have been scrap busting today and made a little quilt top using 117 2.5" square scraps and lots of long thin scraps of white/ cream. It is so strangely satisfying :D. Will post picture once it's done.

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 13:06:10 PM »
I decided to do something quick and easy with them,
Oh surely, surely you jest my dear Lowie!! Quick and easy like doing quantum physics or such! LOL!!!

Lowie, it is lovely in its simplicity and lines and just sparkles.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 13:46:41 PM »
It's very pretty Lowena, you should be more than just 'quite pleased'.  I think sometimes when you don't actually choose the fabric the end result can be more pleasing than something planned which may not always turn out quite how you had envisaged.
Life's too short for ironing.

maliw

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 15:02:06 PM »
Lovely, amazing what you can do with "several leftover squares". Most of my leftover squares are 21/2" ones and some have been around for about 7 years  :o
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 18:57:29 PM »
Thanks girls, both for looking and for your nice comments  :)
I'm champing at the bit, but can't sandwich until the builders have finished and bed goes back up as I have no other space big enough.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 18:58:39 PM »
I think sometimes when you don't actually choose the fabric the end result can be more pleasing than something planned which may not always turn out quite how you had envisaged.

That's what I'm finding out with my Mystery Quilt  :(

Lantana

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 23:32:07 PM »
Yes big pat on the back from me as well Lowena. I love the way the colours keep your eye moving around the quilt, very pleasing I must say. Who is going to be the lucky recipient?  <3

Lucky Lanty  :)

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48:34 AM »
Thank you.I'm afraid my work is not in any demand LL  :| so it will join the pile in the workshop, unless I decide to use it on the settee when I'm chilly next autumn  :D

Lantana

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 09:47:05 AM »
Ah hah you've hit the nail of my procrastination on the head! The reason I am reuctant to actualy finish my projects is because then I'd have to decide what to do with them ... in their unfinished state I know exactly where to put them ..... in the UFO/WIP cupboard!  :)

LL  :vintage:

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
Perxactly  :D

Kad

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
This is the result of my latest stash busting attempt which I'm in the middle of quilting.

By the time that I've cut the binding, from the blue hexagon fabric, there'll be only scraps left. I love to work this way, with a set amount of fabric, designing the most efficient quilt which is also pretty.

In this case, I used 1/2 yd of the dark blue, mustard and ticking stripes, 1 yd blue hexagon with 1 1/2 yd pale background fabric to make a 64" x 79" quilt. I had to piece 4 of the dark blue triangles from leftovers but it's not too noticeable in the overall scheme of things.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.